News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Painting pot metal parts with "chrome" paint?

Started by Snags, July 18, 2020, 10:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snags

Anyone have decent success with any chrome spray paint on what I assume are pot metal parts?  Like the headlight trim rings, or the hood ornament, or the trim right below the hood?  See the attached pic.

I'm not talking about painting the actual bumper, I will clean that up.  It's those other pieces where you can rub the chrome right off.

My car is a driver quality so I'm not going to spend more money than the car is worth getting things re-chromed.  Just wondering if it would look much worse than it does now if I painted them.

Thanks!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Most of the pieces I see in that photo are chrome
plated steel.  As opposed to painting them they can
be cleaned up with fine steel wool (0000) and WD-40
believe it or not.  I helped another member with
that approach.

There are several Youtube videos that go into great
detail as to how this is done.  Here is a link to one:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cleaning+rusted+chrome+with+WD-4o+and+steel+wool&docid=608011491845932336&mid=1037222FF78E0E0154C51037222FF78E0E0154C5&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
There are many other videos on this method.

As far as pot metal pieces, if you are unsure what material
you are dealing with check it with a magnet.  Pot metal is
usually not magnetic.  There is no easy fix for those pieces
that I'm aware of.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

jdemerson

I know of one excellent and highly experienced body & paint man who experimented with the spray "chrome" on pot metal. It didn't work well at all, though he was initially quite optimistic. Just one data point...

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

fishnjim

Only issue I see, if some parts are brighter than others, it's going to look worse.   
Take Mike's advice and see if it'll all clean up first.   You might be surprised, and it'll more closely match the rest of the car and more show its age.   Usually it's the rust bleed through the pits that makes it look bad.   Once that's gone, it'll shine as much as how corroded it is.   
Another option, to take parts to a powder coater.  They'll blast the surface, first.   They have some colors that closely match chrome, but aren't quite as bright, not that expensive.  The powder paint will fill the pits, aka pickup truck bumper approach.
That "spray chrome" is expensive and tricky to apply and needs special equipment to come out right.  You can check with SpectraChrome for a local applicator.
A $4 rattle can of "chrome" at the hard ware/parts store and a little adhesion promoter will stick but same issues.   If surface is rough, it'll not be real shiny either and look bad.   Tough to get a good reflective finish, without sanding out the part and filling the pits first. aka bodywork.   The rechromers replate copper to fill the imperfections til smooth before applying the Ni/Cr layers.

Snags

Thanks for the replys, gents.  The following picture maybe is more informative.  The parts with blue X's are definitely chrome plated steel and I have successfully cleaned them up with Bar Keepers Friend and a scotch pad.  The parts with the red circles are quite different, yes they are magnetic, but they are much rustier and the "chrome" comes off very easily when scrubbed.  I assumed they are pot metal??  These are the parts I thought about painting since the finish rubs off so easily.

Omarine

Ive also used steel wool 0000 to bring back old chrome and stainless. Works great if chrome isn’t chipping off. I have also used chrome spray paint because it would only improve what i had until i had the time to send it all to be re plated. For now im in no rush but im also not overly perfectionist in this area.

Here are some pics. Gold vees are also spray paint.
1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Snags on July 19, 2020, 02:25:42 PM
Thanks for the replys, gents.  The following picture maybe is more informative.  The parts with blue X's are definitely chrome plated steel and I have successfully cleaned them up with Bar Keepers Friend and a scotch pad.  The parts with the red circles are quite different, yes they are magnetic, but they are much rustier and the "chrome" comes off very easily when scrubbed.  I assumed they are pot metal??  These are the parts I thought about painting since the finish rubs off so easily. 

Smooth out the red O areas as much as possible and you should get some prominent with the "chrome" spray paint.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Omarine

Speaking of chrome paint, i just went ahead and painted my sill plates today since the just picked up the car from upholstery. Not paying $400 for whar should be a $40 part.  Left one unpainted. Right side chrome painted. 

Cheers
Oscar
1949 Harley Davidson FL

bullet bob

Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

MaR

If it were me, I would powder coat them with a "chrome" powder. It's closer to the finish of polished aluminium but it's better than a ratty old part and should cost a fraction the price of having them rechromed.

cadillacmike68

Those door sills are not chromed. They are highly polished aluminum. I have bike rims from the 70s for my Raleigh Professional Mk V that you would swear are chrome plated, but they are just highly polished aluminum.

That paint looks nice but how durable will it be?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Omarine

I know the spray paint wont last, it’s just that i wanted to make it look at least a little more presentable. One day i will replace them but there are more pressing things right now to address on the car.
1949 Harley Davidson FL