News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1940 Lasalle 52 front window chrome install ???

Started by GregoryAlan, July 21, 2020, 09:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregoryAlan

Glass guy helped me install my new windshield today...
Pretty uneventful!
Not at all how i expected it to install...

The job is complete minus the chrome trim between the split glass...

The glass guy thought I was missing a rubber gasket under that strip. Looking at the strip that was removed it looked glued in? How the heck did you guys install that piece of chrome???

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Right after you put the stainless steel trim on the body pinch weld you should have put the exterior division trim on.  You put the same sealant on the edges that you put on the window pinch weld trim and the same you used between the glass rubber and the body.  This snaps on so the width of the body division bar is critical.  Usually should get most of the paint off or at least minimize it.  Good to trial fit but don't do the final snap.  Also before putting it on check all the threads that hold the interior division bar and test the screws for length.  With the glass in not sure how to do this.  May be possible if you remove the interior division bar which hopefully will make the rubber loose so you have a gap and can snap it on.   
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

LaSalle5019

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on July 21, 2020, 09:49:55 PM
Right after you put the stainless steel trim on the body pinch weld you should have put the exterior division trim on.  You put the same sealant on the edges that you put on the window pinch weld trim and the same you used between the glass rubber and the body.  This snaps on so the width of the body division bar is critical.  Usually should get most of the paint off or at least minimize it.  Good to trial fit but don't do the final snap.  Also before putting it on check all the threads that hold the interior division bar and test the screws for length.  With the glass in not sure how to do this.  May be possible if you remove the interior division bar which hopefully will make the rubber loose so you have a gap and can snap it on.
Brad is exactly right and if you used the correct sealant which is 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound (96-8509-96), which stays tacky forever, you may be able to pull the interior division bar off and make a gap as he suggests.  You may have to loosen the interior garnish molding too to be able to push the glass/weatherstrip in a bit along that center division bar. Once you snap the SS trim on with some of the 3M compound along the edge, it should all seal back together. The 3M compund cleans up easily with mineral spirits or naptha. I like using naptha personally - neither will hurt the rubber or paint.  Hopefully you didn't use urethane as you would on modern windshields.
Scott

GregoryAlan

Thanks guys...

I think I can loosen up the divider bar enough to get it installed. Not a problem
Do either of you have a way to get me a close up pic of how the chrome divider should look before I go all hog wild and glue it up and snap it in...
Thanks in advance for the help...

My old divider bar was twisted beyond repair [I guess nothing is beyond repair if that's all you can find] and it had holes in it from someone using the wrong screws to install it sometime in its 80 year life...

LaSalle5019

On my 1939 LaSalle which should be the same

GregoryAlan

Quote from: LaSalle5019 on July 24, 2020, 08:28:54 AM
On my 1939 LaSalle which should be the same

Thank you!!!
The light bulb is going off and I think I see the step we missed.
I will loosen up the divider bar on the inside and see what happens...