News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Well the LaSalle deal fell through.

Started by z3skybolt, November 07, 2020, 11:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

I rented a Ford F-250 and a U Haul car transport: took a cashier's check for the agreed to price, drove 1,222 miles round trip to pick up the LaSalle....and the deal fell through!  I am taking a break from this hunt. Nuff said.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Ouch!

What happened Bob?....inspection didn't go well?....price suddenly increased?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Jamurray

Wayne Carini says something like, "it's the hunt that's more exciting the finding.." In the intro to "Chasing Classic Cars".

My guess is your present disappointment did not offset the excitement and anticipation connected with 1,200 miles. Take that for what it's worth.

fishnjim

Things don't always go our way at first or at all, but we get what we need in the end by being patient.
Before I retired, my house sold early, I didn't have a house, found one, started driving to SC from PA, and about Baltimore the realtor calls me and said the house sold.   I've been living in that house now for 11+ years.   Just a few twists and turns, including a financial melt down, to get there.   
I called on a car ad in hemmings.   Guy wanted to sell 6, not just one.   About six months later, I get a cold call, if I was still interested.   Cars in my garage for 6 years now.
So if it's meant to happen it'll happen.   Keep the faith. 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

It's gonna take a NICE 52 SERIES COUPE  to replace what he had!!
I'd be contacting every member in the directory that has one to see if might be for sale.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

GregoryAlan

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on November 13, 2020, 04:11:02 PM
It's gonna take a NICE 52 SERIES COUPE  to replace what he had!!
I'd be contacting every member in the directory that has one to see if might be for sale.
Bob

IMHo it is time to look for something different...
Any replacement is never going to live up to your first love.

Dave Shepherd

Hmm, another Craigslist  "mishap", looks like.  I have some real knuckleheads  to deal with on Cl.

Highwayman68

Wouldn't it have been great if Bob would have also stated why the deal fell through instead of just popping in and announcing that the deal fell through then disappearing, then we all wouldn't have to be guessing as to what went wrong.

There is way too much unnecessary drama in the world today
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Ohjai

Mark there is a nice looking 1939 LaSalle Series 50 on Bring a Trailer, current bid is $5,000.00 with 5 days left on the auction.  Car is located in Minneapolis.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1939-cadillac-lasalle/

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

z3skybolt

Quote from: Highwayman68 on November 14, 2020, 08:36:30 AM
Wouldn't it have been great if Bob would have also stated why the deal fell through instead of just popping in and announcing that the deal fell through then disappearing, then we all wouldn't have to be guessing as to what went wrong.

There is way too much unnecessary drama in the world today

No drama here,

Ultimately some prior concerns which I held had not been addressed to the degree that I assumed they had. There was no dishonesty on the seller's part. In retrospect I should have made one more evaluation trip before heading out convinced that the purchase was 100% certain. I have learned an obvious lesson.

I made the post because some on this forum had been helpful in my search and I felt that they deserved to know the results.

Bob R.

z3skybolt

Quote from: Ohjai on November 14, 2020, 03:07:16 PM
Mark there is a nice looking 1939 LaSalle Series 50 on Bring a Trailer, current bid is $5,000.00 with 5 days left on the auction.  Car is located in Minneapolis.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1939-cadillac-lasalle/

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I have discussed this car with the seller.  It is beautiful but has some issues.  Not the least of which is an exhaust leak that seems to be coming from either the intake or exhaust manifold where they attach to the engine.  Listen to the video and one can hear the leak loud and clear. The seller was very nice to talk to and honestly addressed all concerns. 

Bob R.

z3skybolt

Quote from: GregoryAlan on November 13, 2020, 12:01:06 AM
Not a coupe:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/d/lakeland-1940-lasalle-door-sedan/7216609101.html

Thank you Gregory,

I looked into this vehicle a bit. Lovely on the outside.  Has been used as a movie car and the emphasis has been on external appearance. 

Bob R.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: GregoryAlan on November 13, 2020, 04:27:14 PM
IMHo it is time to look for something different...
Any replacement is never going to live up to your first love.
That's what I said about my previous girlfriend. LOL!!! I was hooked on 41's for years!! Bob loves 40 LaSalle 52 series. I CAN'T fault him.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.