News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Power/Manual Brakes

Started by Soulless007, October 22, 2020, 01:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulless007

This may be a dumb question but can anyone tell me how to tell if a '56 Series 62 has power or manual brakes? Thanks in advance
Ron H
'67 Coupe Deville
'56 Series 62

J. Gomez

Quote from: Soulless007 on October 22, 2020, 01:27:36 PM
This may be a dumb question but can anyone tell me how to tell if a '56 Series 62 has power or manual brakes? Thanks in advance

Ron,

All '56 have power brakes, no way to stop that massive weight with manual type brakes.   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Soulless007

Quote from: J. Gomez on October 22, 2020, 01:55:59 PM
Ron,

All '56 have power brakes, no way to stop that massive weight with manual type brakes.   ;)

I was thinking so, which is why I assumed it might be a dumb question, but I was looking at brake line sets and it asked if the car had manual or power brakes.

Thanks J
Ron H
'67 Coupe Deville
'56 Series 62

fishnjim

Look at the drivers side fire wall in the engine compartment.   Should have a vacuum booster there.   It's possible could have been changed but factory with.   Doesn't sound like that line store knows what they're selling but could just be how their computer menu is set up.   

J. Gomez

Quote from: Soulless007 on October 22, 2020, 02:09:55 PM
I was thinking so, which is why I assumed it might be a dumb question, but I was looking at brake line sets and it asked if the car had manual or power brakes.

Thanks J

Ron,

Not a dumb question, I was also perplex by sellers advertise their manual brake master cylinder rebuild kits products fitting the ’56 Cadillac.  :o
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Big Fins

Then it is a possibility that the man with no soul has manual brakes on his car? The question remains, who would buy a Cadillac if they needed two people to press on the brake pedal to stop?
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Soulless007

My car doesn't have a booster on the firewall.

This isn't a pic of my car but it's the same setup

Ron H
'67 Coupe Deville
'56 Series 62

Big Fins

On the driver's side, up next to the radiator. Isn't that the Master & Booster? Right under what appears to be a voltage regulator. I can't remember the last time I saw the under hood of a '56.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Gomez

Quote from: Big Fins on October 22, 2020, 06:19:36 PM
On the driver's side, up next to the radiator. Isn't that the Master & Booster? Right under what appears to be a voltage regulator. I can't remember the last time I saw the under hood of a '56.

John,

You are correct that would be the master & booster, but the box to the right is the Autronic-Eye amplifier.  ;) the VR is on the front of the radiator support on the other side (right side) just visible on the picture.   
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Soulless007

Yes that's where my master and (I believe) Bendix booster is.
Ron H
'67 Coupe Deville
'56 Series 62

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ron,

You have an email from the Moderators that required your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Soulless007

Sorry about that, I misread the previous email.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron H
'67 Coupe Deville
'56 Series 62

Big Fins

Quote from: J. Gomez on October 22, 2020, 07:00:06 PM
John,

You are correct that would be the master & booster, but the box to the right is the Autronic-Eye amplifier.  ;) the VR is on the front of the radiator support on the other side (right side) just visible on the picture.

Thanks, Jose'. Like I said, I can't even remember the last time I was able to see under the hood of a '56. Let alone study it's workings.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Soulless007

The answer ended up being right in front of me the whole time, the brake pedal says "Power Brakes" right on it.
Ron H
'67 Coupe Deville
'56 Series 62