News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Finding original owner/dealer

Started by Bill Renda, November 19, 2020, 08:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Renda

This has probably been asked a million times but is there a way to find the original owner and the original dealer of my 63 convertible?
At least the original deal maybe?
Thanks ahead of time this forum has been real helpful since I've joined and I've gained knowledge that a degree couldnt give me.

LaSalle5019

If you go to the CLC Home page and click on Technical, you can select Vehicle Authentication to see what is available for various years through GM's Heritage Center.  For your car you can probably get the build sheet but not the dealer destination - that looks to only be available for pre-1954. I'm not sure of another resource unless you had some original paperwork with the car.
Scott

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

They started listing 6-digit outlet codes beginning in the 1960 model year on the build sheets. Build sheets are available for $50 through Allied Vaughan. Unfortunately there is no known master decoder list so don't necessarily expect the code to provide the answer.

Don't forget that dealers routinely bought/sold/traded new vehicles among themselves depending on the specific model, colors & equipment a customer was looking for. The outlet code could only indicate the original destination which is not always the same as the actual original selling dealer.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

fishnjim

According to the old adage it was curiosity that did the cat in.   So perhaps best left unknown?
If you desire such a vehicle buy one with all the documentation with it including repair receipts.   

Art Director

Tom Hall in California should be able to help you decode the dealer code. His contact information is listed in the CLC Directory on page 11.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Chuck Swanson

I have also been gathering dealer info in various formats, but still need to compile a list.  Only have a few dozen I think now from the last 10+ years of saving, but goal is to compile and share with everyone as none is out there publicly.  On the todo list :)

Also, I found the original owner info on one of my '66s by calling the person whose name I found in the glove box.  They knew the first two owners. 

I did the same on my '66 Calais for a receipt, and the 80 year old lady was kinda shocked when I called, but was happy to hear about the car she last saw in the 70s :) 

It helps if the owners have unique names of course. 

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Jeepers Creepers

Tom Hall was able to tell me the dealer on our 64 from info on the build sheet.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

dennisspeaks

CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS