News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Waking up my inherited 67 Eldorado

Started by K_Cassutt, July 21, 2019, 06:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

Quote from: K_Cassutt on July 17, 2020, 04:32:28 PM
Oil pan removal revealed crankshaft bearing fail.
Yipes! Condolences!

Was a failed bearing the thrust bearing (at the rear of the engine)?

Just getting the oil pan off cost a bit of dough, I assume. That sucker is tucked up in there.

Call Jay Leno and ask how he converted his Toronado to RWD. Then use that formula to build your own 1000-horsepower 1967 Eldorado. Be famous!

Once again, you have my sympathy!

bcroe

Quote from: K_Cassutt
Oil pan removal revealed crankshaft bearing fail.  Busted budget. 

Drop in a late 500, runs on cheaper gas.  Will need a couple holes drilled
in the trans mating though.  Bruce Roe

wrench

Quote from: K_Cassutt on July 17, 2020, 04:32:28 PM
Oil pan removal revealed crankshaft bearing fail.
Busted budget.
:-\

Sorry to hear this. Did I miss something? What lead up to the oil pan removal and autopsy?
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

K_Cassutt

Engine pull reason? It was prompted by the good advice here. The engine ran without obvious issues. Pulling the oil pan was the tell. My mechanic slept on the issue of not having this cash cow and decided he could replace the bad thrust bearing and give the block a good cleaning. And change the brake pads, replace the oil dip stick, fix the rubber somethings revealed when the engine was pulled....(..and best of all, it's a Cadillac!).

The Tassie Devil(le)

Just goes to show just how good and well-built these Cadillac engines are.   

Engines will seemingly run on and on even though they need rebuilding, but when pulled apart, they will never go back together and run as nicely when parts are disturbed.

Parts that are running nicely together, even though worn out, for some unknown reason, will keep on going, till something changes.

A bit like a car that ran well for one owner, will play up with the next owner.   The difference being that the sudden change in driving habits.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

K_Cassutt

Bruce, interesting and helpful insights. I drove this car as a high school student. It was parked soon after I went to college.

67_Eldo

Are you going to sell it? Part it out? Park it on the front lawn as a warning to others?

K_Cassutt

Hey 67Eldo, I assure you that my mechanic is 100 percent committed to this project!

67_Eldo

TJ Hopland

Does that mean your mechanic has his eye on a new toy for himself that he wants to buy with all the money you will be paying him?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

K_Cassutt

Oh, I think he bought it and has a payment soon!

K_Cassutt

Quote from: 67_Eldo on July 20, 2020, 01:08:32 PM
Are you going to sell it? Part it out? Park it on the front lawn as a warning to others?

Maybe a runner early next year. Latest Easter Egg from previous owner is the current engine is a 1966! Why? I'm sure it was the cheapest. How he shoehorned it in a 67 is well, you had to know him. Anyway, the RIGHT parts for a 1966 engine are on the way.

35-709

"Latest Easter Egg from previous owner is the current engine is a 1966! Why? I'm sure it was the cheapest. How he shoehorned it in a 67 is well, you had to know him. Anyway, the RIGHT parts for a 1966 engine are on the way."

:)  There shouldn't be any "shoehorning", the '66 and '67 were basically the same engine --- the intake and carburetor were different as well as the valve train but other than that it would be pretty much a drop-in.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

K_Cassutt

The 66 429 is cleaned up and ready for reinstallation.

79 Eldorado

A homemade engine stand?! I guess it's been used a few times in the past but after working with angle-iron it seems a lot less capable than I originally would have suspected. The rear supports are angle iron and not steel bent in a press-brake correct?

It's a lot of effort to save the cost of a store-bought engine stand and there's a lot of time, money and weight mounted on it.

Scott

Edit: To be fair the angle of the photo seems like it might be hiding a brace going from the head to the toe... is that correct?

K_Cassutt

I stood next to Beast as she fired up. My, that's a lot of power. I could drive it this week. First stop- GAS STATION!7