News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

V16 engine rebuild

Started by KD, July 02, 2011, 07:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KD

Does any one know about how much it will cost to rebuild a V16 engine?
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day KD,

Boy, what a question.

Firstly I would say something like If you have to ask you can't afford it. ;)

But, seriously, it all depends on just how far, or deep, one has to go into rebuilding.

Basic Machining will cost comparatively the same as say a 4 or 6 or 8 cylinder engine, but multiplying the individual prices by the factor to allow for the extra pieces to be machined.

Parts wise, now that could be a different thing, as I am not sure just what parts you would be needing.

Plus, which model are you referring to, the OHV or the Side Valve V16?   This does make a difference.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dr. John T. Welch

Plan a spending floor of $16,000 assuming you are beginning with a complete engine,  all accessories being useable, correct and/or original.    Costs will go quickly north of this if you are missing accessories, require major repairs to cast structural parts ( engine block water jackets, block/cylinder head fractures, etc.) or you must acquire replacements for components deemed not repairable.  Do not skimp on quality of parts or machining skill and experience.  This is not a small block Chevy.  Machining errors are catasrophic for these engines.   

John T. Welch
CLC   24277

robert G. smits

Check  (Ty's v-12 Rebuild is happening) on the Restoration Blog.  Ty had $21K invested and the engine was not back in the car yet.  I spent over $20K on my 38 v-16 engine in the early 90's.  I now only purchase restored cars or great originals.  Bob Smits#2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

JLB

Updating this forum post with a recent estimate from a best rebuilder. His estimate was $28K. So my budget is going forward with $30K

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1940 Series 90 Limo (purchase being negotiated)
Jim LeBlanc
jim_leblanc@yahoo.com
1940 V16 Town Car
CLC Member #33340

Clewisiii

https://straight-eight.com/

I visited this guys shop.  Saw 5 Duesenberg's in process and two Cadillac V 16s
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Alex D.

Assuming all your bolt-on's such as water pump, generator and etc. are in good shape, Figure on at least $1000 per cylinder and that is if you do the assembly yourself. These are complex engines and very time consuming for someone that has never done a multi cylinder engine. I believe I did very well at 16k on a V12 assembling myself.
If you are looking for a concourse rebuild you are in a whole new ballpark.

Alex D.
1932 370B  V12