News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1961 S62 convertible authentic interior

Started by dermike211, November 11, 2021, 02:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dermike211

Long time lurker first time poster,

Recently purchased a 1961 series 62 convertible that, according to the body plate, was not originally Fontana Rose with the all-rose leather interior. I would like to restore the interior to its factory condition, but cannot find any color photos of the interior (Trim code #20, "black and white leather"). Can anyone direct me to some photographs?

As an aside, 1962 and later reference trim code #20 as being "white leather with black carpets". Were those the same and Cadillac just changed the verbiage?

jagbuxx #12944

This is from a coupe. Convertible would be similar other than leather on the seat and vinyl on the door in place of the cloth
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

dermike211

Fantastic, thanks jagbuxx. Info on the 61 is proving more difficult than 59-60 or 62 and newer

quadfins

Contact the club for an Authenticity Manual.

Class 19.  1961/1962.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

According to the Databook, the two tone  interiors available were black & white and red & white. In both cases the horizontal pleated areas in the seats and doors were white with darker color bolsters...... the negative image of the CDV pic posted by jagbuxx above. Given the expense of full interior restoration, Jim offered the best suggestion about purchasing the Authenticity Manual

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

quadfins

Ralph is correct.

Attached are pics from the data book/optional spec manual.

jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

dermike211

I was unaware of the Authenticity Manual offered by the club - excellent info. I have the data book but it's lacking in some areas.

Thank you all for helping out a new Cadillac owner on his restoration journey!

MD

D.Smith

I rotated and resized your body tag photo for you.
Nice early build car too.  Second week of October 1960.

D.Smith

I just went thru my photo archives and couldn't find a 1961 Series 62 convertible with a factory installed black and white interior number 20.   

I did however find a car that had interior number 21 (All black) that someone changed the seat inserts to white at some point.

Here are the only two interior photos. 

James Landi

The white interior panels may not be authentic, but a great idea.  I owned a 61  white convertible with a red interior--- and on a sunny day, the only pertainent reaction is "OUCH."  Additionally, occasional exposure to the sun, faded and cracked the interior.  I owned a couple of 80's convertibles  with whte interiors--- a far better choice for top down driving.    Loved my '61--- cruising at night and looking in the rear view mirror at those red tail lights glowing was among many high points of this lovely design.    James