News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)

Started by Roger Zimmermann, August 27, 2020, 02:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

When a Brougham to be restored is for sale on this forum, why not put my own Brougham which is licensed and ready to go?

•   1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham #230 imported in 1958 to Switzerland with speedometer in km currently licensed and drivable. Vehicle is located in Switzerland; test drives
        always welcomed and encouraged, weather permitting.
•   Black exterior with correct Black & White interior. Trim is mostly original with only the upper door garnish moldings being covered on black leather as the original vinyl was
        cracked. Original exterior code was white and a previous owner had blocked out the original paint code on the ID tag but all other codes are factory correct to the car.
•   Red reflectors on the back of the car seen in the photos are required in Switzerland but can be easily removed by the new owner.
•   Frame-off restoration completed in 1991 with the car remaining on the original air ride suspension.
•   Engine and transmission was overhauled during the restoration as were the brakes, cylinders and lines changed over to silicone brake fluid. Engine has low compression
        pistons.
•   Daytona Parts restored both Carter WCFB carbs.
•   Diamondback radial tires all around.
•   Car comes with most vanity items, some spare suspension diaphragms with a tool to test them plus an un-chromed lower front bumper bar.
•   Just Dashes restored the dash in November 2001.
•   New electric wiring harness for the engine and dash were installed in 2008
•   With the exception of the clock, all accessories such as the radio, antenna, air conditioning, and automatic starting system are all functioning well as engineered by Cadillac.
•   This fine automobile received "Best 1947-1959" at the 2008 Grand European in Speyer, Germany, "Best Limousine 1945-1960" at the Concours d' Elegance in Basel in 2000.
        Car's restoration was featured in the July, 2009 edition of the "Self Starter" of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club.
•   Current restoration cost estimates for a Brougham of this calibre approach $250K if parts are even available. Asking price is CHF 149’000 or  US $ 162’000.

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Peter Cornwell

Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

Matt CLC#18621

That's a very beautiful 1957 Eldorado Brougham Roger!

You should consider marketing your 1957 Eldorado Brougham in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, et al.

The oil billionaires can no longer distinguish themselves from their peers with their identical Bentley's Bugatti's, and Rolls Royce's!

Best of Luck!

Regards,

matt 18621

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Matt! Your idea about advertising have to be considered; I doubt that the car will come back to the US, your economy is not that good for the moment!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on August 28, 2020, 11:36:46 AM
Thanks Matt! Your idea about advertising have to be considered; I doubt that the car will come back to the US, your economy is not that good for the moment!

It isn't?  ???
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 28, 2020, 11:44:03 AM
It isn't?  ???
It's at least the impression I have, far, far away from you! With more than 10% unemployment, I cannot say your situation is rosy.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on August 28, 2020, 11:54:43 AM
It's at least the impression I have, far, far away from you! With more than 10% unemployment, I cannot say your situation is rosy.

Unemployment has been falling steady and the market for cars and home sales is at one of the strongest it has ever been.  Used car prices at wholesale dealer auction have soared into the stratosphere. Night and day difference from the spring market when the earth was opening from under our feet. Every time I leave a sale I'm practically in a coma the prices are so high. Most car dealers in my area are practically sold out of cars, myself included driving prices higher and higher.

Even the small independent hi fi shop I do business with tells me they're on track for having the best third quarter sales in its 40 year history. Most major stock market indices are now within striking distance of their all time highs. 

I could go on but the point is that the information you have been given is woefully incomplete.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Roger Zimmermann

You see, insider info is always better! I'm glad that your economy is recovering that way.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

chrisntam

The market is up, up for us 8% to 9% for the year.  I'm happy with that. When it was down, we were down 18%.  We hung tight, it came back just fine.  Always does.  Come November, it may be a different story...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jyinger

I have a couple of questions.  The original exterior color was white?

How many miles (or kilometres) on the car?

Does the air suspension work?  How long does the car stay "up"?   Two days?  More?

Can you post photos of the vanities?

Thanks

Jon Yinger CLC#26643
Jon Yinger

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for your comments, Jon.
Some of your questions can have an immediate answer: yes, the originalair suspension is working; its equipped with diaphragms at the front from MASTERMIND, one at the rear from Roger Eickmeier and one original. The front of the car is staying up for 2 days, the rear for weeks.
The color code on the body plat was "erased" from one previous owner; probably when he repaintd the car metallic green. When I restored the car duringthe eighties, there was enough white paint on the firewall, under the moldings and under the door's trim to be shure that the car was originally white. The Brougham roster proves it too. To me, white was not offering enough contrast with the stainless steel roof; due to the existing original trim, black paint was the sole alternative in my opinion.
The car has about 110'000 km; the engine was overhauled with just honing the cylinders and keeping the original pistons.
In about one week I'm back home; I can then do pictures from the vanities and report the exact mileage.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Due to the virus thing, we had to come back earlier.
The odometer is showing 07770 km (indeed 107'770, not 2 or 300'000 km) or 67400 miles. This afternoon, I did some pictures:
The battery compartment, often neglected
The bumper jack under the flap, with the tire card (repro) and 2 spare belts
The drinking cups, with the container and the empty cigarette case
An original owner's manual
the Evans combo, the perfume atomizer and a perfume (the right one) bottle
The memo booklet with pencil and the mirror
If you would like to see something else, just ask.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

It took a long time, but finally my Brougham is now sold to a man living in Germany. It was delivered this morning, November 5.
The hubcaps were removed for the transportation.

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations Roger.

Great news.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Love the mismatch between the towing and the towed vehicles.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Bruce!
Indeed, I just know that the towing vehicle is a Mercedes, but what model? I don't care! The driver will just have to tow the Brougham over 800 km!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

V63

Congratulations! It was a beautiful example!
Does the driver have much experience towing? I ask because it appears there is not enough tongue weight? The car is not forward enough. This is dangerous as the trailer can 'whip' and become unstable especially when the towing rig is lighter.

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks! About the position of the car: I was also not convinced about the car's position and I asked the driver if the car should not be more forwards. He said no, because it's a very special trailer. At first, the bed is inclined (see the picture) and when the last is correctly placed, the bed is tilting flat. At that moment, the car is ideally located. According to the buyer, the driver is moving all sort of very expensive vehicles, therefore it seems that he knows "how". And, indeed, it's no more my problem!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Towing that heavy car & trailer with that light car is a joke!!! Very dangerous & should  not be allowed.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Roger Zimmermann

It was also my thought when I saw pictures. However, the Mercedes is larger in reality than on the picture.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

At 11.30 PM, the new owner sent us a small video showing the arrival of the car into his (very nice) garage. A relief after a drive over 500 miles...Now, the fun will begin for him!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101