News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1937 60 series electrical issue help

Started by Steve Rinaldo, October 17, 2021, 08:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

Nothing electrical works in my car. The starter works when the relay is jumped. I think the problem is a bad ignition switch or ammeter. The question is how do you remove these parts for testing? The shop manual shows no info.
I really some help with this. Steve

wheikkila

You should be able to check for power on the back of the ignition switch. You should have power on one side all the time. The other should have power when you turn the key on. On the switch there should be a small screw that holes the switch in place. Hope this helps out.
Thanks Wayne

tmdeturck

I agree, you should be able to check these without removing them.  Look for power on both sides of the ammeter and the one side of the ignition switch, assuming there were no changes like a "kill switch" added over time.  You could also check if the ammeter is the cause by jumping across the terminals with an insulated jumper wire / alligator clips for a lights test.

If you really want to take the ammeter out, it's held in place by 3 Phillips screws on the backside of the gage, and the ignition switch by 2 screws on the backside.  It's tight space back there to get them out though, I had to be upside down on my back with mirrors to see.
I attached some representative pics to give an idea of what it looks like.
Terry
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Steve Rinaldo

fishnjim

Get help, if you're not sure what to do.   Take to an auto electrical shop.

wheikkila

Taking it to a shop may get it fixed. But you won't learn anything. These old cars are good to learn on. They have little wiring to sort out. You should purchase a wiring diagram for your car. It will help you and anyone working on the car.
         Thanks Wayne   

35-709

And you can get a large, full color, laminated wiring diagram from Classic Car Wiring in Sebastian, FL for your '37.

https://classiccarwiring.com/collections/cadillac-lasalle
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

wheikkila

I have purchased a diagram from them for every car I have. They were all 11x17 laminated and worth every penny.
              Thanks Wayne

Steve Rinaldo

I ran an additional wire from the battery - post to a terminal on the regulator and every thing is working as normal. Either a wire came loose or a wire is broken. Thanks for the help. Steve