News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1968 DeVille driveshaft repair options

Started by cadillacmike68, October 24, 2021, 11:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

OK, so I'm getting a vibration on acceleration, even mild acceleration on the 1968 DVC. Folks thought it was the drive shaft and my normal shop thinks the front double u-joint Cadan CV assembly is bay. Exactly which part they don't know. They are supposed to remove the shaft and send it to a local driveshaft place who can hopefully repair it.

I know about the Cardan CV joint ball, socket and spring and have located a possible source for a repair kit. I also remember this older thread about a 1964, which I was part of:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=124346.0 

Supposedly the replacement u-joints are readily available from everybody, but are difficult to replace because the original Cardan CV joint was not designed for replacement of the individual u-joints. Is this correct?  Is there a source for the Cardan CV joints if mine are FUBAR'd?

This is supposedly a repair kit for the Cardan CV joint. Is it the right part?

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p2034_neapco_2_9301_fits_1971_to_1972_buick_1968_to_1972_cadillac_.html

There is also supposedly a Rockford Driveline kit mentioned in the 1964 thread.

How can new u-joints be installed in the existing setup?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Is someone has the Cardan CV joint sleeves for sale please let me know. I'm referring the the thing that hods both u-joints. It's the same item front or rear.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Any good bearing/machine shop knows where to get the parts it needs.
Capeway Bearing and Machine did The Ark's drive shaft over the summer.
Don't forget to change the transmission mount, OPGI has them the cheapest, $20.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all