News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Burnt Valve 1937 La Salle

Started by Doradokid, October 15, 2021, 03:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doradokid

I  have a burnt valve in the second cylinder in from the radiator on the driver side.   I have a replacement valve. I am being told I will have to take the  engine out of the car to fix the issue.  I  also have a 38  La Salle which I bought years ago.  The engine had been rebuilt before I bought it but the valves were left too long.  I had the good fortune to meet an skilled mechanic who had worked on the Flatheads at a Cad Dealership in Pennsylvania.  He made a special tool to remove each of the valves. But he left the engine in the car.  He took the carb and the intake manifold out of the car as a unit to get access to the two covers that were over the valves in the center of the block.  I watched him work and he did the job in one day.  if he could take a valve out, cut it to the right length and reinstall it with the engine in the car, why can't my burnt valve be taken out and replaced while the engine is in the car?  Any answers to that question?  Or couldn't the engine be left in the car even if we had to take the head off the left side of the engine to get to the burnt valve.

harry s

It is not necessary to remove the engine to repair a burnt valve. It sounds like you a good idea how to do it from watching it done by a mechanic. It is not any more difficult than you describe. Good Luck,     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

wheikkila

Good Evening
You are correct. It can be done. It just will take time. The head, intake and covers will need to be removed. Then you would have to remove the lifter block for the front two cylinders. Then you can compress the spring remove the keepers that hold the valve in. I guess you want to hand lap the new valve in? After lapping the valve you will need to cut the clearance on the stem. For that, I would remove all the lifters in the block except the one you are working on. Rotate the engine till the back of the cam is up. With the valve completely compressed you need between .30 and .70 thousands clearance. Then you reinstalled the covers, intake and heads. Nothing to it. Let us know how it works out.
    Thanks Wayne 

z3skybolt

A skilled mechanic removed all 16 valves and lifters from my engine......cut the stem length on new ones, set the clearance perfectly and installed new lifters with the engine in the car.  Cost me $1,800.00 in labor but resulted in a smooth near silent engine.  This all after a botched job by another "supposed" expert.

Good luck,

bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Doradokid

Thanks for your replies.  I hope I can find a friend/mechanic with some skill better than my own to help me get the out and the new one in.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Dear Doradokid,

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible