News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Horn 1968 Convertible DeVille

Started by Doradokid, October 15, 2021, 03:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doradokid

Where is the HORN relay located in my 68 DeVille Convertible?  My horn does not work.  I tested the Circuit Breaker in the fuse block and it is fine.  I see a relay on the right passenger side of the firewall that looks like the photo of the  Horn Relay shown in the manual.  But it has only 3 posts and the horn relay in the manual shows 4 posts, as does the replacement shown on the Caddy Daddy site.  One video claimed the relay is located under the side vertical panel in front of the driver door with some carpet material covering it.  I can't see how to remove that panel to find out if it is there.  Any ideas where the relay actually is and on how to remove that small side panel in front of the driver's door.  Thanks.

Big Fins

That vertical panel is known as a kick panel. Not totally familiar with a '68, but there are two or three attaching points. One is just a tab of the plastic tucked under the door sill plate, another is at the the top of the rear edge attached to the "A" pillar and there may be a screw attaching the forward edge to the interior body plate. That one may be concealed by the carpeting. Feel around for the screw head. It's like the ones holding the lower edge of the door panels.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

DeVille68

Hello, the relais on the firewall is the blower motor relays. The other in the kickpanel is for the windows.
You need to one the the left side of the steering column on the firewall behind the pedals. The inside wall of the firewall, not the engine side.

Also check if the horn actually works by just grounding the case and putting 12V to the terminal.

Those relays can be opened up and most of them have corroded contact or a broken wire / terminal.
I had to repair both the horn relays and the windows relay in my 68 Cadillac.

If horn and relays are working then problem could be in the steering column / horn switch of the steering wheel.

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)