News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Ethanol Blend gas

Started by Cadillac Diesel, November 08, 2021, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Diesel

I'm new here, and I'm sure this has been discussed already, but from my experience it's a good idea to always use pure gas if possible in any car with a carburetor. The ethanol blend breaks down starting withing 20 days and produces formic acid which attacks fuel component parts.

Big Fins

It's a great idea, when it can be obtained. In some areas of the country the greenies won't allow it. It's all I use in everything from the classic cars to the weed eater. The daily drivers get the Deathanol blended garbage, because they are designed for it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Person with diesel in the name and their first post is asking about gas?   I thought I was going to get to share some 5.7 knowledge and maybe sell some parts.

Some carb stuff seems to run fine on the stuff and others don't.   For sure if its going to do any sitting you are better off without it. 

My area had ethanol blends in the early 90's so I was quite entertained watching the last places get it like 10 years ago.   Those people thought it was the end of all engines.   At least by then there were tons of products to help cope with the stuff.  When we first got it there wasn't anything.   Seemed like you had to replace fuel lines and rebuild carbs pretty much every year especially on seasonal engines.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dn010

I suggest either getting ethanol free fuel, or adding STA-BIL stabilizer to ethanol gas if the vehicle in question will sit for any length of time. Starting it up once a week doesn't count. I have a vehicle in storage now that I left with ethanol fuel in for a month; it is an EFI engine with catalytics and the fuel caused all sorts of unnecessary havoc and even left me stranded. The ethanol likes to attack rubber components. Carburetors are a little more forgiving but they will gum up with bad gas. Easy enough to dump in some stabil or just get regular ethanol free fuel.
-----Dan B.
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Lexi

Quote from: Big Fins on November 08, 2021, 11:45:10 AM
It's a great idea, when it can be obtained. In some areas of the country the greenies won't allow it. It's all I use in everything from the classic cars to the weed eater. The daily drivers get the Deathanol blended garbage, because they are designed for it.

"Greenies"..."Deathanol", LMFAO! Love it! Up here Shell advertises that their V-Power (Octane 91), is ethanol (Deathanol) free. Just not sure of its availability in the U.S., nation wide. Something to search in their website. Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thus far, here in Australia, one can simply avoid filling up at any of the Ethanol Blend pumps at any Petrol Station.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

You can locate stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline at www.pure-gas.com.  It seems to vary quite a bit by state.  Here in Georgia there are many such stations, while in other states there are few. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

David Greenburg

I'm stuck with it, but add an ethanol treatment like Sta-bil marine or the Lucas  treatment each time I feed the beasts and don't have any problems. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jim Miller

The Pure Gas website helps to find ethanol free. If you are anywhere near a marina most marine gas is ethanol free. I'm on Lake Erie and the marinas and many stations have ethanol free for boaters. Some call it "clear gas" or "boat gas".
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

kkkaiser

here I'm Montana,, non corn gas is just over 4.00 per gallon,, that's a honeybun for a tank!!   they are gonna try to drive us out of the hobby with gas regs,

V63

Having some experience with gas preservatives 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄...I have found they do not work in alcohol blended fuels😖, despite encouraging label claims.
Ultimately, for any relief... I was forced to source non blended fuel .

James Landi

I own several boats--- the one stored inside is a twin big block 502's with Holly carburetors-- "failed to launch" for   two seasons, and as a precaution, rebuilt both carbs last spring--- no fuel issues, just a bit of caulky residue -- that's all.  Our out boards were  stored outside, and tarp covered,and that is a whole difference story--- accumulations of water/fuel separation in tanks, and on one 3 carb Yamaha, about a 1/2 ounce of powder in one carb, and some ugly liquid gunk in two.  My take is the longer they sit outside the more at risk with ehtanol fuel separation.  (and by the way, they all had stabiizer in their respective tanks--) we live on the Maine coast with dramatic swings in outdoor temperature...  Happy day, James