News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

'75 Eldorado - newbie upholstery questions

Started by benji808, November 15, 2021, 11:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Hello!

I'm pretty ignorant on upholstery material, and typical repair/restoration techniques, so a few random question below, and I'd be happy to review any other thoughts or resources. My '75 has a black interior, which is in pretty good shape, although there is some wear in the seats and a few cracks:

1) I believe my original upholstery is leather. When I search for seat upholstery, some of the results I see are vinyl. What is the general consensus on leather vs vinyl in terms of functionality and authenticity (it's not really a show car, but I'd like it to "feel" fairly authentic)?

2) What's the process like to "rebuild" a seat - are people tearing them down and replacing the foam? Source for parts/resources?

3) Any preferred vendors? PUI interiors (vinyl) and Lseat (leather) are two I've looked at...anyone have experience with these or others?

I'm not sure that I want to replace right now...it's in pretty good shape and I may be able to patch a few things, but want to increase my knowledge base.

Thank you!

V63

The original interior was leather 'surfaces' , with vinyl match sides and backs.

Leather is more 'comfortable' in my opinion and I would prefer that
As I'm sure most people would agree.

The foam does harden in the seats of that era but it's only the first 1/2" layer...not the base foam. This thin layer is sewn with and under the top covering,  would be replaced under any scenario of reupholster. 

KOKNEYELDO

Benji

I have a 75 Eldo conv and installed new seats using Sierra grain "fake" and they look great.

I changed the seat piping to maroon to match the original paint color and I love it.

I am not looking to enter a show so it does not have to be "truly" authentic.

If you must have specs that match the original build sheet, go with leather (NB not all Cadillacs had leather, so check it first if it must be authentic).

If $$$ is not an issue go with leather.

If not, go with fake.
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

benji808

Thanks for the input!

Those seats look beautiful! Did you do the upholstery yourself, or take it to a shop? I'm thinking of attempting myself (just pull the old one off and new on, right?? Haha- almost never that simple!)

J. Doogla

The leather gm was using during the late is paper thin, and unless treated regularly, seems to fall apart. My 78 eldorado had what appeared to be a pretty nice front seat, but it has started cracking and pieces of the broken leather are falling off the bolster. This car has 25k miles on it now, but was poorly stored. It's a perfect example of why not to and how not to store a car for decades. When I have the front seats recovered, I'm will most certainly use a synthetic material...some vinyls now are as soft and as any leather used in the 70s-80s. And just as cold in the winter and hot in the summer haha.