News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac Battery Ground Cable and Wire connectors for ignition Switch.

Started by 61reptile, March 18, 2022, 03:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

61reptile

Hey Guys. New Member here. Where on my 1961 Cadillac should my battery Ground cable bolt to on my engine block? Someone tried to partly rewire my engine bay and failed miserably. They Bolted it to the frame😒

Also, where on the ignition switch does the pink resister wire plug into? And what connector clips work best so they stay attached so I can reinstall the ignition into the dash with out the wires coming off while doing so? Appreciate any help I can get and look forward to being on here a lot more. Thank you for having me. 
Johnny Z

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Johnny,

Welcome to the CLC Forum Message Board.

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dadscad

If your 61 is like my 63 the battery ground cable attaches to the frame under the battery tray. There is a ground strap from the frame to the starter mount bolt to ground the engine. The pink ignition wire attaches to the "ign" terminal on the switch. HTH
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Bryan J Moran

CLC 35000

fishnjim

Wiring may not be as miserable as you think*?   If you get an original ground cable, you'll see where it goes.  They're only so long.  You should be glad, it's not 6VDC positive ground, you'd really freak out...
'61 should still be packard 56 type connectors and shields.   They're readily available @ most auto parts, if not online. 

* - It's 1961, bay of pigs invasion, and it was a different world to what most are used to today.   There might be verbage in the shop manual, but I haven't read '61's.   Although there are electrical diagrams, I haven't seen any period layout drawings available.   Not even notation list on the "ed"s.  Usually just terminates at a dwg symbol.  But there would've been eng. dwgs somewhere within the div.  GM protects their info and sometimes licenses it to reproducers. 

35-709

"dadscad" is correct, and your battery ground to the frame is correct, the ground cable attaches to the frame, under the battery tray. 
As I remember, but stand to be corrected, there is a woven ground cable from a transmission to engine mounting bolt going to the frame, this grounds the engine.  Another ground wire from the engine or the frame to a starter mount bolt can't hurt but is not done originally.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

wheikkila

Welcome to the club! I highly recommend you purchase a wiring diagram for your car. They are inexpensive and well worth every penny. If you are fixing wiring you will need one.
                Thanks Wayne 

David Greenburg

David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering