News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1974 Eldorado correct style battery/ cap color

Started by 1974 eldorado, July 22, 2022, 05:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974 eldorado

Does any one know what is the correct style and color of the battery cap for a 1974 Eldorado
      Thanks Shaun

KOKNEYELDO

I do not know about 74' but these are on my 75' Eldo, which I bought from Charles Fare (RIP).IMG_1422 (Large).JPG 
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

V63

The original battery was a group 74, delco specifically.

My earliest recollection was the delco freedom that was "maintenance free" (no caps) but unsure when it initiated, it had a navy top but the sides were white opaque.  I would have to assume proximate to 1976?

The side post battery was standard for 1971?

J. Skelly

Starting with the '71 Eldorado, these were maintenance-free Delco batteries.  If you are asking about the terminal caps, that is posted above. 
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

1974 eldorado

Thanks
I guess I bought the wrong one
Should of asked first
Bought battery from batter central and it comes with red or yellow caps
On the top like a old style battery that you add water to but is a maintenance free battery was going for original look
   But thanks Shaun

TJ Hopland

I don't have an owners manual handy from that year but seems to me that at least some years have under hood photos that show the battery especially in the era we are talking about here because of the new maintenance free battery.  Did they start out with the 'eye' or was that a little later?   I do remember a big chunk of the manual talking about how all you had to do was look at the color of the eye and that was it.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

hornetball

Ahhhh . . . the Apollo era.  Everything was possible.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

The Delco Eye predated the Delco Freedom Battery, which was the first one that was maintenance free.

All of these were in use in the mid-seventies, but I find it hard to remember exactly when the Freedom battery came out. Doesn't the 1974 owner's manual give a clue about which battery the car had?

J. Skelly

I just looked at my '71 Owner's Manual.  The specifications page calls the batteries Delco Energizer.  All except the Eldorado used the R71S, while the Eldorado used the R91S maintenance-free battery.  I found this photo from a 2016 post on the forum.

The '74 battery may have been different.  As Alan Harris has stated, the Delco Freedom Battery was the marketing name used for years to indicate a maintenance-free battery.  Check your Owner's Manual.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

hornetball

When they went to the 5mph bumper in the front in '73, the battery location changed.  The following captures are from the '74 Service Manual: