News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Cadillac 1967 stereo radio and dash pad

Started by Cadillac1967inthenorth, October 31, 2023, 09:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1967inthenorth

dash pad.jpg

Im curious about the 1967 stereo fm radio option. Was it a popular option? There are some radios for sale in the internet, but I cant find a dash pad made for stereo speakers when I search on google. Seems lite the AM or FM/AM radio was far more popular.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, I'm not an expert by any means in this subject, but probably, your problem is that any new option takes a couple of years to become popular. And there were probably few persons who would jump on the new technology the first year or so to make it relatively rare. And those suppliers who offer repro items are naturally going to make their product match the restorers who have the most need.

Perhaps you should simply get used to not having those extra bass notes when you're driving your '67. Candidly, you're going to have enough on your plate getting the car back up to snuff that in five years, you might wonder why you spent so much time trying to install a stock stereo radio.

In any case, best of luck. I did have a '67 limo at one time, and drove it to Florida with my wife and Mom. I didn't know that the seller had installed a dip stick that didn't show the correct oil level. And by the time I'd gotten into Alabama, the car was in dire straits from lack of oil.

Luckily, the first gas station I pulled into in Huntsville had a Hemmings lying on a desk. We got the last (compact) rental car in town to continue to Orlando. We picked the car up on the way home and found the guy had messed up the exhaust system so we roared back to Indiana.

As an aside to the story, when I was transferring the luggage from the '75 to the rental car, the guy asked my Mom if "I'd been with her long," thinking that I was her driver.

Mom never skipped a beat, but simply said, "Yes, quite a while." (The guy never asked about the hot chick I was sleeping with standing next to Mom.) And to give my wife credit, she never brought up or nagged about the problems we had on this horrible trip.

I guess if you keep you wife in Cadillacs during your marriage that ran most of the time, (And finally got her a new one in 1995), that you can't go too wrong.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Cadillac1967inthenorth

I have a stereo radio now and two small speakers in place of the oval one in the dash pad. And two big speakers in the rear.

I also have a 1968 Buick Electra with stereo radio. That setup is different and an original option from the factory. It has one channel in the front and one in the rear on the packet shelf!

badpoints

Quote from: Cadillac1967inthenorth on October 31, 2023, 09:39:20 AMdash pad.jpg

Im curious about the 1967 stereo fm radio option. Was it a popular option? There are some radios for sale in the internet, but I cant find a dash pad made for stereo speakers when I search on google. Seems lite the AM or FM/AM radio was far more popular.
My 67 SDV has two speakers in front

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have a feeling that the mesh/grille above the Speedo is not for a Speaker, but a light sensor for the Twilight Sentinal if fitted.

This would be to show the unit when it is dark, or light, to operate said Sentinal.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I may be wrong, but with all that padding in the cover, there wouldn't be room to install a small speaker.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce, if you are looking at the second picture in a better way, you will see a grille on the RH side of the dash and the same grille on the LH side. I agree with you, the grille above the speedometer is not for a speaker, but for something else like a light or temperature sensor.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: badpoints on October 31, 2023, 10:22:03 PMMy 67 SDV has two speakers in front

Thank you! That looks nice. Seems like great interior too. Is it green?

badpoints

Quote from: Cadillac1967inthenorth on November 01, 2023, 05:55:36 AMThank you! That looks nice. Seems like great interior too. Is it green?
Yes it is green and white. It was a mess, I spent about two hundred hours cleaning the interior. Took the seats out and painted the floor. Still have some cleaning left on the door panels.

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: badpoints on November 01, 2023, 08:35:22 AMYes it is green and white. It was a mess, I spent about two hundred hours cleaning the interior. Took the seats out and painted the floor. Still have some cleaning left on the door panels.
And you got headrests!

35-709

The little grill above the speedo covers the sensor for the ATC. 
BTW, be very careful of that sensor grill, most of the originals I have seen have gotten very brittle and break very easily.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2