News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

'40 LaSalle throttle cable

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], May 20, 2023, 09:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

Could someone please provide a picture of the attachment of the manual throttle cable to the butterfly valve on a LaSalle or Cadillac using the '39-'48 flat head V8 engine? I need to see how the cable connects to the actuating arm, since I need to install one (presently missing on my '40). Also, for reference, does anyone have the required length of this cable?

Thanks.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

LaSalle5019

This is the setup on my 1939 LaSalle with the Carter WDO. I seem to recall a different carb on the 1940 but maybe not. Cable wire is 32" from the back of the pull handle to the end at the carb.

IMG_5128.jpegIMG_5127.jpegIMG_5126.jpeg   

John Barry [CLC17027]

Those pictures are immensely helpful, as is the dimensional information. Here's a follow-up question: what would you call that brass part into which the cable wire inserts (see the 3rd picture)?

Thanks very much.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

LaSalle5019

Quote from: John Barry [CLC17027] on May 23, 2023, 07:24:51 PMThose pictures are immensely helpful, as is the dimensional information. Here's a follow-up question: what would you call that brass part into which the cable wire inserts (see the 3rd picture)?

Thanks very much.
A pivot block? The brass block pivots on the steel lever it is attached to and, as you can see, has a screw that retains the throttle cable. Also, if you were to loosen that screw and remove the cable, that entire lever would flop forward (rotate clockwise). This is to allow the throttle plate to open while that lever remains in the same position. It basically floats on the shaft but engages the shaft when rotated rearward past the position it is shown in the photograph. I primarily use the throttle lever for cold starts but occasionally as a poor man's cruise control on flat roads.