News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Need Help - How To Remove Fan from Water Pump - '67 Eldorado

Started by Varooom, May 05, 2023, 07:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varooom

Hi all - I have my radiator out but cannot remove the fan and pulley.  I took off the four bolts from the pulley and it is not even loose.  I have looked thru my shop manual but the illustration does not quiet match my car. I have a shaft extending out of the pulley to my fan and whatever that thing is on the end of the fan - AC clutch? I tapped on the shaft with a hammer thru a little wooden board, shot it with solvent, tapped with a hammer, tried to drive a putty knife between the bolt plate and pulley but it wont budge.  What am I missing?

Oh, and I did remove the fan from the AC clutch as stated in the manual but it did nothing but get in the way.

Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dan,

You need to tap a bit harder.   The hub is only held on be the 4 bolts, so it is probable years of internal corrosion between the hub and the water pump flange, behind the pulley.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

It fits kinda like a wheel.  The clutch is like the wheel and the water pump is the hub. And I guess the pulley is the brake drum or rotor.   You got the lug nuts/studs of so now its being supported by the water pumps shaft that extends through the pulley and into the clutch.   Its normally a snug fit but usually you can just kinda wiggle them off by hand.  The numb usually only extends about 1/4" into the clutch so it should not be that bad.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Julien Abrahams

I agree with the others above. With a slight tap of a (copper) hammer it should come off.
The "thing" you are referring is the fan clutch. This allows the fan speed to increase if coolant temperature gets to high (during idling for example) and to decrease when there is plenty of air flow (for example on the highway).
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Varooom

Bruce - thanks for the confidence to whack it harder!  Perhaps a good motto for my future endeavors ;D !

TJ - thanks for the explanation - you paint a good picture.

I got the fan etc. off and found the water pump shaft (TJ's "axle") extends thru the pulleys and into the flange about 3/4" and keeps it from just falling off when the bolts are removed. 

To remove it, a slight tap will not do the trick due to the shaft extending thru the pulleys.  I did whack it a bit all around including on the fan, towards the front of the car, and found a small gap grew between the flange and pulley.  I tapped a very small titanium tipped screw driver with a carpenter's hammer in the gap and it grew enough to wedge another small screwdriver on the apposite side of the water pump shaft, then graduated to full size screw drivers on either side of the shaft and worked it all off.

I'll post some photos after a do my repairs and detail painting.

Thank you all!

IMG_4258.jpg

Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

cadillactim

Tim Groves