News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1966 Headlight Phantom

Started by Morgan Murphy, May 05, 2023, 03:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgan Murphy

Hey folks, I need some advice on my 1966 Fleetwood 60S headlights.  Here are the facts and just the facts:

1.  The headlights (all four) stopped working a few months after I had the car repainted.
2.  The car is equipped with Guidematic but not Sentinel
3.  I have tested the headlight switch and it is fine.
4.  The dash wiring seems good
5.  The headlights themselves work
6.  The relay for the Guidematic gets very hot
7.  The tail and parking lights work properly, as do all interior lights
8.  The turn signals work correct with the lights OFF, but the starboard indicator gets weird if the headlights are on.
9.  Shortly before the headlights stopped working, I had them on and the right turn signal going.  It was doing its weird thing but stopped when I put a hand on the fender near the light.

This leads me to think the relay or high beam foot switch has shorted out, but the culprit might be a bad ground on the fender.  Any other thoughts?

Morgan
"If the man wants to buy a Cadillac, let the man buy a Cadillac."
J.M. Murphy, 1959

V63

The floor dipper is problematic and also controls guidmatic

Morgan Murphy

Thrilling conclusion: the switch was fine. The floor switch was fine.  Some genius (ahem, me) drilled a screw through the headlight harness running near the radiator while installing the windshield washer refill bottle.  Whoops.
"If the man wants to buy a Cadillac, let the man buy a Cadillac."
J.M. Murphy, 1959