News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

'66 Carter choke question

Started by Julien Abrahams, October 17, 2023, 12:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Dear all,

The choke on the '66 Eldo I am working on is stuck. I carefully removed the coil housing (which was held on with two screws instead of the required three) and found the choke housing full of dust (rust/carbon).
The coil housing baffle is pretty badly corroded.
Couple of questions. What is the purpose of the baffle?
Can I purchase this somewhere?
I am going to clean the housing (don't now what the whiteish looking stuff is).
I looks like water came in it?
Any tips on how to proceed are appreciated.
I am unfamiliar with this type of choke and the Carter carb.
I do have the shop manual but unlike the '67 it does not really explain how the different asepcts of the carb work.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Chopper1942

The baffle helps keep the heat from the heat tube close to the thermal spring. The reason the baffle and inside of the choke housing is so badly corroded is that the choke heat tube that passes through the exhaust manifold/intake manifold has a crack or hole in it and the vacuum from the choke housing is pulling exhaust gasses into the choke, where it condenses and rust the choke parts. It also has acids that corrode the choke piston into the choke housing. You can try soaking the piston and housing is some PB Blaster to free them up. Then use fine crocus cloth to polish the piston bore and piston.

You will need to replace the choke heat tube. They are a press fit on one end. When you try to drive them out, they will sometimes buckle up or break off in the exhaust manifold or intake manifold. If this happens, you will need to remove the manifold to get the pieces out.

Before you try to drive it out soak both ends for quite a while and then use a pin punch the size of the outside diameter of the tube to tap it out.  If it does not budge, you will have to drill it out, which entails removing the manifold.

Michael Petti

If cleaning it up and repairing it does not work out you might consider an electric choke. conversion. I had similar situation on my 60 CDV Carter AFB. I was able to clean it and make it functional, but I did look into it and there are kits out there to do it for not a lot of money. It's just an idea.