News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Exhaust Remnant Question

Started by Snibbor, December 27, 2023, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snibbor

This is the exhaust profile on the last bit of garage flooring before the exterior of my garage. Is this a concern? I drive daily a '67 CDV. Just wanted some else's eyes on this if they think it might be a symptom of something.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like the rich deposit from starting the car with the choke on full.

My car/s do the same, especially where the exhaust tips are shaped to force the exhaust gas downwards.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chopper1942

A tip to make your exhaust system last longer. Drill a 1/16"-1/8" hole at the bottom of the front and rear vertical ends of your mufflers and resonators. This will let the moisture drain out.

You have to drive a long distance at higher speeds to get the exhaust hot enough to evaporate the moisture from the exhaust.

Remember, for every gallon of gasoline you burn, a gallon of water is created in the exhaust.

Snibbor

Thanx men! Admittedly I do pump the gas prior to starting when the car has sat for a couple of days or so. That might be the culprit.

TJ Hopland

How many pumps are we talking about?

You say its a daily driver?   What sort of driving like speed and distance? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

When you pump the gas pedal when cold, the Choke automatically closes to fully closed, thereby creating a rich mixture.

When I start my cars following an extended period of non-use, I pour some petrol down the carby throat, and the car starts right up, but the choke still operates as soon as I touch the pedal.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Snibbor

I drive daily to Post Office. Pump probably 2 or 3 times. I am going to stop this procedure.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Being a daily driver, you should have no trouble in starting the car with a minimum of two pumps of the gas pedal.   The first one to set the choke, which at the same time squirts a plunger-full from the accelerator pump, and the second one to squirt a little bit more fuel via the accelerator pump.

The first one should be a press-to the floor, and hold it for a half a second, so the choke has time to spring closed.

Remember the Buicks where you had to press the pedal to activate the Starter Motor, and then hold it till the engine started.   The Vacuum, once started, would release the electrical contact from the Starter, and the engine would run.   Those you only pressed once, and if one pumped the pedal, the engine would start to crank, then stop when the pedal was lifted before it started.   The secret with these Buicks was to, if necessary, pump the gas pedal a couple of times without turning on the ignition, so it wouldn't crank.

PS.   For the purposes of a daily driver, I refer to a car that gets driven at least once a week.   During this time, the Carburettors will never lose fuel from the fuel bowl through normal evaporation, plus, the reservoir for the Accelerator pump will always be full, and ready to start the car.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV