News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Rear brake hose for 1966 Cadillac

Started by Gary McKinney, May 29, 2024, 06:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary McKinney

I'm trying to find the correct rear brake hose for my 1966 Eldorado.  Everything that local parts stores list are incorrect in that they do not have the tee fitting attached to the hose.  Does anyone know a correct part number and source for this hose?  Thanks.
Gary McKinney

1950 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Cadillac Eldorado

Julien Abrahams

Gary,
I am pretty sure I got mine at Rockauto.
But are you referring to the tee that that hose connects to and left and right rear steel brake lines connect to? Because that is a separate piece and not part of the hose.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Gary McKinney

That's interesting.  The tee connection on mine is attached to the rubber hose, and it looks like the factory original hose. 
Gary McKinney

1966 Cadillac Eldorado

TJ Hopland

Later they did go to that style so maybe some quality time on a site like rock auto trying different years and models you can find one with the block included and the correct threads and length?  If you click on the info button many times there will be a page giving details like the length and thread sizes.

An almost 60 year old brake hose?  Hopefully no one was attempting to stop this car with the brake pedal. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Gary McKinney

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 29, 2024, 01:01:57 PMLater they did go to that style so maybe some quality time on a site like rock auto trying different years and models you can find one with the block included and the correct threads and length?  If you click on the info button many times there will be a page giving details like the length and thread sizes.

An almost 60 year old brake hose?  Hopefully no one was attempting to stop this car with the brake pedal. 

I had the entire braking system redone several years ago and silicone brake fluid installed.  I never personally inspected the work, and the brakes still work fine.  I don't know why the front hoses were replaced, and still look new, while the rear hose was not.  All wheel cylinders still look new, the fluid is nice and clear, it's just that rear hose that's bugging me. 
Gary McKinney

1966 Cadillac Eldorado

Gary McKinney

Another mystery solved.  My mechanic was mistaken about the brake line.  I went by there today and we put the car up in the air and took a close look at that hose, and the tee fitting is definitely a separate piece as has been suggested here. That makes replacement a lot easier!  Thanks Julien and TJ for your help. 
Gary McKinney

1966 Cadillac Eldorado

Julien Abrahams

Another mystery solved :). No probleem. Good luck. I need to redo all the brake lines, so no brakes yet... Give it time. :D
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

James Landi

"An almost 60 year old brake hose?  Hopefully no one was attempting to stop this car with the brake pedal."

Quoting from TJ to urge everyone to REPLACE old brake hoses... they may look fine on the outside, but OLD ones often COLLAPSE on the inside and LOCK the brake shoes or brake pads...  don't roll the dice, please.  James