News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1976 Sedan Deville Steering Gear Removal

Started by cadillac91, May 29, 2024, 09:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac91

1976 Sedan Deville Steering Gear is leaking.  I have read the removal procedure in the SM.  Questions:  Would it be easier to remove the pitman arm from the center link vs. the steering gear?  Secondly, which bolts do I remove from the rag joint?  Is the steering gear difficult to remove for a person working on his back on the floor?  Thanks!

bcroe

Quote from: cadillac911976 Sedan Deville Steering Gear is leaking.  I have read the removal procedure in the SM.  Questions:  Would it be easier to remove the pitman arm from the center link vs. the steering gear?  Secondly, which bolts do I remove from the rag joint?  Is the steering gear difficult to remove for a person working on his back on the floor?  Thanks!

I find it quite difficult to remove the pitman arm
from the steering gear.  There is a bolt perpendicular
to the shaft to pull, then the rag joint can be slid
back from the gear.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Big Fins

I agree with Bruce. Much easier to pull the Pitman arm off of the car. I've seen puller arms snap because they are on so tight.

The sedan is a breeze compared to the Eldorado. There should be one nut and bolt holding the steering shaft to the steering box input shaft. Once removed, you can slide the shaft back just enough to get it out.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Randy,
I've found pulling the pitman arm off the box wioth a dedicated pitman arm puller (not expensive) is not much of a problem.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

35-709

I just today finished changing out the power steering box in Big Red (I used a mid-'80s Monte Carlo box) since it was leaking at the input shaft.  I used a pitman arm puller with my impact wrench and it came off easily. 

For me, at 81, I could not change out that very heavy box, even with the car on my lift, without a friend wearing his muscle shirt to help.  Be careful laying on your back under the car with that heavy chunk.  A floor jack placed under it and raised up to it will help take some of the strain. 
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I think one reason the dedicated pullers work well is they grab a bit further in than the typical universal pullers do and most of the arms tend to have a slightly rounded edge which leaves even less for them to grab.  Its also nice that they don't move unless you have the fancy jaw pullers that have the clamping ring to hold the arms in position.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

TJ
ALL dedicated (to specific operations) tools are designed specifically for the task intended. Jury rigged substitute devices are by their very nature less effective
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-