News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac adding Condenser to Generator

Started by J. Russo, June 18, 2024, 08:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

Hello,

I'm considering attaching a condenser to my generator. I have a spare from my distributor. Can I use that condenser or is there a special one I need to find?

Thank you
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Jay Friedman

My 1935-55 Master Parts List shows the 1937-55 radio condenser on the generator is part number 191 1095 and the 1934-55 distributor condenser is part number 186 9704. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

J. Russo

Quote from: Jay Friedman on June 18, 2024, 11:18:10 PMMy 1935-55 Master Parts List shows the 1937-55 radio condenser on the generator is part number 191 1095 and the 1934-55 distributor condenser is part number 186 9704. 

Thank you Jay!
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Warren Rauch #4286

I did some checking on how to get rid of noise on a radio. 
   from a 1949 Delco radio book Part #6030 is the universal condenser for use on a generator, any make ,any year.It  is rated .5 mfd (microfarad).  From a P&D ignition parts section on  radio condensers  "For best results ,use highest capacity of above condensers whenever space and conditions permit" It sells 3 models ..25 mfd,.5 mfd and 1.0 mfd .
   In 1953 Delco also sells #6030 for use on Voltage Regulators, Ammeters and Ignition coils.  Earlier there was a model #6017 for Cad,Buick and Olds that fit inside the coils w/caps.
 Other ideas are  Front wheel static Collectors.
 Noise Suppressors on the distributor.Delco says For 1941,42,48 and 49. One that goes between the cap and coil wire (25,000 ohms). For 1946 -47 on each of spark plug wires (15,000ohms)

I could not find the condenser rating for 41 Cadillac directly. A Chevrolet that uses the same after market condenser says .28-.32 mfd.  Filko an after market company says .17-.23 mfd. They also say  high speed long drives ,lower capacity. Slow around town use higher capacity.

Warren

bcroe

The exact capacity is not very important.  Worry
more about the suitability of the cap construction
for this type of service, AND keep the length/cross
section of the loop between the cap wires and the
gen minimized; this is the remaining antenna of
radiation. 

The cap can only go on the gen output, no cap can
be used on the field terminal (to avoid reg contact
damage).  So that wire from the field to the reg is
an antenna.  Some installs avoid this by mounting