News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

For '67 429: any good temp sending unit out there?

Started by Julien Abrahams, August 22, 2024, 11:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

So recently I changed out the temp sending unit in my '67 for an original one out of a '66, just to see what the temp gauge would do. With the '66 unit, temp gauge comes up to 1/4 and stays there only moving slightly higher when going up long grades. So I am pretty sure that the one which is normally in the '67 does not have the correct resistance as the temp gauge starts to move after already after about 1 min of running and will go up to 1/2. It has ben like that since I replaced it in 2014 because  the original unit was kaput.
I don't mind modding something (for example put in a resistor) but prefer to just have a correct temp sending unit.
1951 Buick Eight special
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

dadscad

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

James Landi

I owned a 67 Eldorado back in the early 70's, and I found the temp gauge frighteningly accurate... On several occasion in stalled traffic approaching the Lincoln tunnel, that damn gauge moved way over to "Almost Nailed"--- caused me to turn off the a/c and run the heat!   I suggest to you that you need to get an excellently accurate digital laser temperature tool and establish accurate readings on all upper end cooling passages.  Heavily scaled radiators and scaled up cooling system passages can kill your engine, even as the dash temp gauge lulls you into a false sense of security.  James