News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Fix for loose floppy sun visors, 1980 to 1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Started by DHeins, September 03, 2024, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHeins

With my 1985 Eldorado Convertible it wasn't too much trouble to keep the floppy loose sun visors out of way using a metal wire clipped in the post hole for the convertible top. But when driving top up; visors were dropping and flopping having to  hold them up and steer with one hand. 

After doing a little research discovered someone posted pictures on how the friction fitting is attached to the rod (see pictures). One can assume over time the plastic aged out, cracked, and lost its grip ability.
Got to thinking how could one substitute or replace these fittings? 

So took some rubber coated wire (used for tying up plants) and with skinny forceps pushed in (and a little jamming tight) about four inches. The wire gives it body to push, and the rubber now provides resistance friction for the broken plastic pieces.  Problem solved; visors stay up now.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I'm going to have to try this on my '81 Seville as my driver's side is floppy. Thanks!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

James Landi

What is the achilles heal on a  perfectly running and beautifully preserved 80's Cadillac convertible (whether Eldorado or Allante)--- it's those internally broken sun visors...  My alternative simple fix, (promoted by Johnny Monzo) is those old fashion clip on paper binders-- large sized, that happily have the perfect geometry, and can "give" so as not to damage anything if inadvertently pull on, but brace the visor up so as not to flop down.   

TJ Hopland

Is that specific design unique to these specific cars?  Or is this just GM that was used on just about everything over many years?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

smokuspollutus

Ironically the only 2 vehicles to use this infernal design were the 79-85 E-cars with lighted vanity mirrors and the Allante.

I'm glad to see my drawing is still out there!

Barry M Wheeler #2189

James, that's what is keeping mine up right now. Works fine. (I can't' remember if I got gigged on it at Louisville in 2019 which was the last time I had it judged.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville