News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Rochester rough idle and idle by-pass screw

Started by Lexi, August 23, 2024, 09:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

Hopefully your rebuilder will find the problem with it and get it back to you quickly so you can drive Lexi for a little bit anyway.

I did a test on this float to see if it was still good, it is. I wasn't sure because on one side it's got an extra spot of solder on it, and I was thinking it might not float as high in the water as the other side would, but it surprised me and floats evenly.
20240910_145025.jpg
I then did another test on the bowl assembly to get an idea of just how much fuel it will actually hold, as I've always been curious about that.
Using the float, (as it takes up valuable real-estate), I carefully measured water in a syringe and filled the front bowl. Not having the float connected to the top I had to estimate the correct level, (but it did sit level within the bowl), and I used the equalizer passage holes as a guide. And the rear bowl took just as much.
So with all this taken into consideration, it took as little as 4.5 ounces and can take as much as 5.25 to 5.5 ounces to fill it to the equalizer holes. It will depend on the actual float setting, but even given that, that's between 9 to 11 ounces inside this carburetor.
  That's almost a whole can of soda!

It's no wonder why you walk away if it ever catches fire!!

I would consider rebuilding your spare yourself, there's enough information on here and people who can help if you have a problem, you have but to ask.
This is very similar to the 2bbl carbs of this time. It's like they took 2 of them and glued them together. Certain things on the rear half were changed so it wasn't duplicated, like the accelerator pump, and the idle circuit were left out of the rear half.
If you look at the venturi clusters they look like they could almost be swapped, but there are minor, critical differences between them. Mainly the idle air bleed passages and the accelerator pump passage and nozzles in the front cluster.
That will also give you some confidence in your ability to fix it should something happen on the road.
  You need to know how to work on it if you're going to drive it.
Years ago I decided that I wouldn't have anything on my vehicle that I couldn't fix, and I was really hot for a long time, lol!! Then I learned to fix A/C systems. Same with the transmission, I was a shifting fool, then learned to rebuild automatics.
I hate having to pay someone to fix something I broke, so I learned to fix it myself.
One thing I'm not going to touch is a computer.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Remember,  no matter where you go, there you are.

Lexi

Very good advice. I should check my spare floats in case my current carburetor problem is traced to a faulty float. I am a lot like you as I do not like paying anyone to fix anything. Period. With cars I have exceptions, and carburetors is one of them as I just never got involved with them. Think I will delve into one of mine later this fall or winter. Do I need any special tools to work on them that I may not have? Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

I learnt years ago that if something broke, I had to fix it myself, or I couldn't use it.

That goes with cars, as I didn't like to walk once I got my Drivers' License.

Eventually, there was not much that I couldn't fix.   I think of all that money I saved over the years.   Especially on Apprentice wages.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Could never afford a new car.   Still cannot, or wont.   These days new cars are so bland.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on September 10, 2024, 09:06:55 PMVery good advice. I should check my spare floats in case my current carburetor problem is traced to a faulty float. I am a lot like you as I do not like paying anyone to fix anything. Period. With cars I have exceptions, and carburetors is one of them as I just never got involved with them. Think I will delve into one of mine later this fall or winter. Do I need any special tools to work on them that I may not have? Clay/Lexi

For this carburetor there are no special tools required to disassemble and rebuild it. You could buy a float scale to weigh them with, but I don't remember ever seeing the specs for this one, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just checking that they float evenly is the main thing.
 If you are going to take the throttle shafts out that's a bit tricky, but still not impossible. The risk here is just in getting the screws out that hold the plates in. They are staked on the ends to prevent them from backing out. A file will take the flattened end off the screws so you can remove them.
 It's just paying attention to how things comes apart and following the rebuild kit instructions.
 I would suggest that you take a lot of pictures from all angles before you start and continue as you go so you'll have them as a reference if needed since this will be the first one you've done.
 I've seen some of what you have done, so I believe you can do this. Have faith!!

Rick

CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 10, 2024, 10:11:33 PMI learnt years ago that if something broke, I had to fix it myself, or I couldn't use it.

That goes with cars, as I didn't like to walk once I got my Drivers' License.

Eventually, there was not much that I couldn't fix.  I think of all that money I saved over the years.  Especially on Apprentice wages.

Bruce. >:D

PS.  Could never afford a new car.  Still cannot, or wont.  These days new cars are so bland.

I agree completely Bruce, I don't like to have to walk either, although I could probably do with the exercise, lol!!

I learned how to rebuild standard transmissions after I twisted the input shaft in half in my 56 Chevy in 1982.
My first carburetor rebuild was necessary after I bought a rebuilt one and it didn't work. That was back in 1980.
Because I couldn't afford to buy a new car or pay someone else to fix what I broke, I had to learn quickly or walk quickly.
Most of us are probably the same way.
You're right about the new cars too, butt ugly!! Wouldn't have one if it was given to me, especially if it wasn't made here. The money made from the sale would certainly help to keep an old car running though.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Don't be afraid of the carb. They weren't that complicated back then. Just take a ton of pictures as stated above and you'll be fine. We did the one on our 55 7 years ago, and I hadn't done a carb since high school. I worked with my son on it and we had a good time. Didn't do the bushings tho.
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Lexi

Good words of encouragement. I will take the plunge. Gonna be off line for a chunk today, but using time to clean up shop and look for my small parts cleaner. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Seat valve stuck due to contamination. Cleaned out and OK now-car back on the road. Then at the coffee shop I noted a bulge or bubble, on one of my tire's sidewalls. Got to get that off for safety. Must have just happened. May buy a new set of tires, just don't know if I want Coker again. Yes, this "bubble" tire is a Coker with low miles. This has not been a good set. What has happened to Coker quality? Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Clay,
 Glad to hear you found the source of your problem and Lexi is now on the hunt for turdboxes.
 Sorry to hear about your tire issue, but glad you spotted it before it caused you a bigger problem.
 I'm glad one of us is having success at making something run. Still fighting my cam/computer war.
 Congratulations on your first carburetor surgery.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Lexi on September 15, 2024, 12:21:37 AMWhat has happened to Coker quality? Clay/Lexi
Since a long time, I have heard bad comments about this brand. I would never buy it!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jon S

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 15, 2024, 02:37:39 AMSince a long time, I have heard bad comments about this brand. I would never buy it!

Coker has new owners as of a few years back and quality has taken a nose dive unfortunately
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

Quote from: Jon S on September 16, 2024, 08:10:23 AMCoker has new owners as of a few years back and quality has taken a nose dive unfortunately

Yes, the errosion of Coker tire quality seems to have begun around the time Harold Coker passed in 2014. Quality continued to slide after new company ownership which I think was in 2018. Very disappointed in my last set. Clay/Lexi

Jon S

Quote from: Lexi on September 16, 2024, 02:40:51 PMYes, the errosion of Coker tire quality seems to have begun around the time Harold Coker passed in 2014. Quality continued to slide after new company ownership which I think was in 2018. Very disappointed in my last set. Clay/Lexi

It's a shame because they have a nice line of products. Even worse is the lack of quality from Kelsey Tire.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT