News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac steering box

Started by JacksCaddy, August 23, 2024, 04:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacksCaddy

Hi All, I have a 56 Cadillac eldorado seville and the steering is all over the place. As part of the restoration I've replaced the springs, shocks and front end. I ordered a new box from "buy auto" and it's different. Their tech realized the part they sent me was wrong but they didn't have anything to replace it and that this was a one year part. Does anyone know where I can get a new or rebuilt box?. My last resort would be to find an original box and rebuild it while it's off the car. The last, last resort is to rebuild the existing box which would lay the car up for the duration. pic of the original box.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jack

J. Gomez

Quote from: JacksCaddy on August 23, 2024, 04:00:03 PMHi All, I have a 56 Cadillac eldorado seville and the steering is all over the place. As part of the restoration I've replaced the springs, shocks and front end. I ordered a new box from "buy auto" and it's different. Their tech realized the part they sent me was wrong but they didn't have anything to replace it and that this was a one year part. Does anyone know where I can get a new or rebuilt box?. My last resort would be to find an original box and rebuild it while it's off the car. The last, last resort is to rebuild the existing box which would lay the car up for the duration. pic of the original box.

Thanks, Jack

Jack,

I rebuild my two boxes working and spare a few years back so I can only provide one of my save links for a rebuilder but can't provide any details on them since I've not used their services. https://www.stangerssite.com/rebuildingindex.html

Maybe other members may have additional locations.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

David King (kz78hy)

Lares Corporation is the go to for steering gear rebuild.  Expensive, but you get your box back and in working order.

http://www.larescorp.com

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Lexi

Quote from: JacksCaddy on August 23, 2024, 04:00:03 PMHi All, I have a 56 Cadillac eldorado seville and the steering is all over the place. As part of the restoration I've replaced the springs, shocks and front end. I ordered a new box from "buy auto" and it's different. Their tech realized the part they sent me was wrong but they didn't have anything to replace it and that this was a one year part. Does anyone know where I can get a new or rebuilt box?. My last resort would be to find an original box and rebuild it while it's off the car. The last, last resort is to rebuild the existing box which would lay the car up for the duration. pic of the original box.

Thanks, Jack

In addition to probably needing a box rebuild, I recall that there was a Cadillac Bulletin in 1956 that notified Cadillac service personnel of revised front end alignment specs as owners were complaining of wandering. I also recall that there was also a notation regarding a modification to be made on the 1956 Cadillac steering box. Think that, plus the alignment spec change were both required to correct reported steering issues when these cars were new. Can look for that information if you wish. Not sure what specs a steering box rebuilder would be consulting on such a job. The memo in question post dated the publication of the 1956 Cadillac shop manual, so this information is not in there. If they rely on the SM they may not get things right, at least according the aforementioned bulletin. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Found these revised alignment specs which I had copied and reported on in this Forum earlier, from that Bulletin:

"There were also some revised alignment specs issued in May of 1956, for those owners who complained of vehicle wandering. They were":

Caster 0 degrees to neg 1/4
Camber negative 1/4 Right, 0 left
Toe in 1/4"

In another CLC Forum post I noted that "I had a "drifting" problem, then major front end work done on my '56, (which is also equipped with bias ply tires). It came back from the alignment shop drifting worse! Long and very painful story short: After some research I discovered there was a set of revised alignment specs for that year, "General Service Letter May 15, 1956", regarding "1956 Steering Correction". This was published in response to assist owners who complained of "steering wander" at medium and high speeds. What look like new (or first time stated) steering gear springs and valve lever lash specs were provided. Also stated were "New caster, camber and toe-in specifications", (which I copied above).

Check this link out https://forums.cadillaclasalle.club/index.php?topic=160921.msg469058#msg469058

Clay/Lexi

Warren Rauch #4286

Cadillac did have problems with Wander in 1956.

Consider the following:

A)The bracket that runs between the tie rod end and the wheel was new in 1956,but at car #127270 was changed back to the  1950-1955 type. In the Serviceman they warn not to mix,change both if you change one.

Group 18.1500 Steering Knuckle Arm

1950-55           1456119 RH   1456118 LH
 56 car#127270 up

1956 to car# 127269  1464121 RH  1464120 LH

B) From Cadillac Training Center workbook (1956 Power Steering and Wheel Alignment Course)

Car Wanders:

1) Steering Linkage Worn or loose                  1)replace worn part. Adjust drag link and pluges

2) Drag link height incorrect                      2)Check and adjust

3)King pin bushings worn                            3) Replace

4)Incorrect toe-in or caster                        4)Check and adjust front wheel alignment

5)Excessive friction in front suspension            5) Lubricate and replace bent or worn parts

6)Front spring height  incorrect                    6) Check spring height and replace springs if
                                                      necessary
7)rear axle shifted                                 7)Check for equal distance  from rear spring
                                                      shackle bolt to axle housing, Check U-bolt
                                                      tightness.

I would not have thought about the rear axle shift. Through out the course they are big on the car height measurements for anything to do with steering. I note that they don't mention the gearbox as a problem for wandering. But in the May 1956 General service Letter #906 (see Lexi post) they call for new centering springs (40# vs 30#) in the gear box, a 2.3 hours job,if you got the parts.

Warren

Lexi

I would not have thought of the rear axle shaft either. Good post Warren. A CLC buddy of mine who has owned and rebuilt four 1956 Cadillacs told me that all 4 drifted to the right. All of them. Same with the ones that I have owned. No doubt that some of this is road crown factor complicated by bias ply tire issues. But still, as Warren and I have pointed out, this was an issue that year for Cadillac. The 1956 Cadillac Service Round Table booklet titled; Straight Ahead and Stop, Meeting No. 7, (1956), discusses much of what Warren and I reported including the revised alignment specs and the steering box rebuild with the new 40 lb springs (replacing the 30 lb ones). Both the tech copy and the Admin copies of this training booklet contain the same information. The Service Letter I mentioned earlier had some additional information especially in the way of a steering box image, as I recall. 1956 was the bastard year for Cadillac. Their "tri-fives" ('54-'56) may all look very similar, but there are a lot of one off parts and operational issues with the 1956 Cadillac. Clay/Lexi

Warren Rauch #4286

The rear  axle "shift", not shaft. The problem is often caused by a sheared center bolt in a spring.  This causes the the differential to be at a slight angle to the car. The car goes down the road "dog tracking" as my father used to say. The rear wheels not following in the path of the front.Instead of even force on the front wheels ,there is a side force as well. This could lead to a pull one way or the other and wander when your try to correct for it.

Warren

Lexi

Yes, meant to say that. I had dog tracking issues with mine years ago which I corrected. Resulted in a slight hum/vibration like-noise until fixed. Worn out shackles and related parts, associated with the rear leaf springs. Clay/Lexi

JacksCaddy

Thank you all for your help. I have ordered a rebuilt steering box and will be installing it in the next week. I will let everyone know how the steering has changed. Thanks again, Jack

JungleCadd

Quote from: JacksCaddy on September 01, 2024, 04:20:22 AMThank you all for your help. I have ordered a rebuilt steering box and will be installing it in the next week. I will let everyone know how the steering has changed. Thanks again, Jack

where did you get your box from?
56 Eldo Seville

JacksCaddy

The story is now complete. We replaced the steering box with a re-built one and the steering is great. It was a challenge as there seems to be no direct replacement for a 56 box as it was a one year only design. We needed to create a new rag joint to get the steering to hook up. Thanks for all your help!.

JungleCadd

Quote from: JacksCaddy on September 19, 2024, 07:13:32 AMThe story is now complete. We replaced the steering box with a re-built one and the steering is great. It was a challenge as there seems to be no direct replacement for a 56 box as it was a one year only design. We needed to create a new rag joint to get the steering to hook up. Thanks for all your help!.

wheer did you get your rebuilt box from ?
56 Eldo Seville