News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Adjusting the TV rod '61 Deville

Started by MattG, Yesterday at 09:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattG

My '61 is running great but it seems to not want to down shift.  I read the manual about adjusting the TV rod but some of it I don't get.  Is the dash relay by the carburetor or back by the firewall?  Whatever is by the firewall doesn't seem to move at all with the lever (second pic).  There is also a spring it looks like somebody added that doesn't show up in the manual (first pic).  Does anybody have a cleared explanation of adjusting this?  Normally I would jump right in and try something, but it is running so good I hate to do anything to make worse.
Thanks

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

If nobody else jumps in, I'm going to say the bottom one with the adjuster on it. Looks like what our 55 has. BUT I don't have that year, so I'm not positive. Does it go down to the transmission?
Someone just added a spring at some point.
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Clewisiii

The lower is a throttle check valve.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Gabe Davis

That is a similar looking setup to my '59. My knowledge is based off of that.

The larger lower rod is the TV that goes down to the transmission. You loosen the two jamb nuts and move it forward or backward. I don't remember which direction affects how the transmission behaves but if you need it to kick down I think it needs to move forward.

The spring is the throttle return spring. It is in a odd place compared to my '59. On mine it runs forward to the oil filter (which was moved to the block in '60) and is attached to the throttle linkage using the hole on the bracket.

It looks like it is effectively doing the same thing as it is below the pivot point. But I'd be curious to know if that was factory. I kind of doubt it.

The smaller upper rod is the linkage that goes to the gas pedal. It runs over to the firewall where it links up to the dashpot and then down and back to the pedal.

The dash pot on the firewall is there to keep the engine from stalling if you get off the throttle very quickly. I had my carb rebuilt by Daytona and the friendly gentleman on the phone explained that those were needed as the idle RPM is so low on these engines (my non air 59' is 450) that the engine can stall when you quickly let off of the throttle. The little button is vacuum activated and pushes out when there is high vacuum and slowly lets the throttle back down to idle.

It looks like yours is an AC car as you have the idle up relay up top to bring the RPM up when the compressor kicks on.

1959 Coupe DeVille
Rosewood with Dover White Top

Big Fins

First, get rid of the spring. It is incorrect. Someone put it there to return the throttle back to idle because they didn't know how to set the base adjustments. It should go behind a small hook of sorts on the throttle linkage at the carb and attach to a fitting with a hole in it held by the right rear bolt in the thermostat housing as you are looking at it from the front of the car. The long straight shank is toward the front of the car too.

That rod the spring is hooked to is the TV (Throttle Valve) rod. When the car is off you should be able to remove the nut holding the adjusting trunion onto the throttle linkage and it should be able to slip in and out of the trunion not snapping forward or back. Loosen the jamb nuts so that is possible. This is the base TV rod setting. The trunion slips back and forth, it is not threaded.

The dashpot on the firewall is as noted above. An anti stalling device that has a vacuum hose attached to the rear of it so that the plunger retracts slowly.

The throttle linkage is mounted on the firewall and a 1/4" drill bit is used to set the base setting on that. This also adjust the accelerator pedal at the same time for optimum throttle travel. From there you have to adjust the linkage on the carburetor so that like the TV rod, it attaches with no forward or rear movement. It should be held in by a Cotter pin with a flat washer. Now you have to set the base idle and air/fuel mixture.

When you have the TV rod off of the carb, move it forward and backward to be sure it's not sticking or binding. Sticking could be in the valve body of the transmission due to worn out or burned fluid. Reattach the trunion to the carb and run the forward nut back and the rear nut up until both contact the trunion and without moving it.

Now go for a test ride. Shifting 1-2 is seamless. 2-3 you may feel the shift but it shouldn't be harsh or jerky. 3-4 is also a fairly seamless shift. You are going to be stopping to adjust the trunion many times until that 2-3 shift is smooth.

To make the adjustments, move the trunion only a quarter turn on the jam nuts each time. You'll need 2, 7/16 open end wrenches. This makes the TV rod longer or shorter and the increments of the adjustment are very small to perfect the shift. I say small, meaning you are moving the trunion about 1mm in either direction. Write down which way you are moving it and how many moves, so you can get it back to a base point if you need to start over and go the other way.

This is going to take time and sweat because you are constantly taking off the air cleaner and working over the now very hot engine. Keep rereading the manual until you understand exactly what it's telling you. The exact sequence is there, you just have to understand it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

David King (kz78hy)

Very small moves on the nut change how it shifts.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region