News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1968 DeVille body side molding clips?

Started by ChrisTabat, Yesterday at 06:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisTabat

I am in the process of reassembling my 1968 DeVille convertible after painting. It was originally a Wisconsin car with lots of rust.  Most of the various clips for molding attachment were no longer usable,  and if exact replacements are available,  I'm not finding them.  I've found a solution that looks like it should work,  with nylon clips for the hidden oval holes and threaded post clips for the accessible holes.  I've test fit a nylon clip and it appears to work.  I've attached photos of both clips in a door side molding.  My next step would be to lubricate the nylon clips with dish soap and press the molding into place.  I know this isn't factory but this is a hobbyist restoration,  and just want the molding to stay in place.  I also don't want to get myself into a situation where I'm damaging my fresh paint or worse,  denting the metal.  Any word of caution or advice on a different direction appreciated.   
Chris Tabat #31293

'68 DeVille Convertible, '75 Eldorado Convertible, '71 Chevelle SS Convertible, '11 Camaro SS Convertible
Bella Vista, AR

Moody

If you find clips that look reasonably close and stay in, I'd go with that. Were the originals plastic or metal? Since this car will be cared for differently than before, I assume, either should be fine, but metal usually won't degrade as fast as plastic, which can easily crack over time.
Moody

ChrisTabat

Thank you for the reply.   The original clips were metal, and if I'm understanding the shop manual correctly,  they attached to the door first and the molding slid onto the clips.  Its future will be limited to nice weather cruising and local shows,  and is stored in a climate controlled garage.   I'm 70,  so as long as those nylon clips out-live me,  I'm fine.    Thanks again for the reply. 
Chris Tabat #31293

'68 DeVille Convertible, '75 Eldorado Convertible, '71 Chevelle SS Convertible, '11 Camaro SS Convertible
Bella Vista, AR