News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1976 CADILLAC PICK-UP

Started by JIM, January 02, 2006, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM

WE JUST BOUGHT A 1976 CADILLAC PICK-UP MADE BY TRADITIONAL COACH WORKS.WE BOUGHT IT FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER.BUT ALL PAPER WORK HAS BEEN LOST.ANY INFO ON HOW MANY WERE MADE?WHERE THEY WERE MADE? ARE THEY WORTH ANYTHING IF RESTORED ?

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Traditional Coachworks converted a few stock Coupe deVilles  into ElCamino-like pick-ups. It is my understanding that these vehicles were factory-authorized conversions, and available through authorized new Cadillac dealers. Traditional Coachworks, Ltd. was located at 9344 North Oso Street, Chatsworth, CA  91311, and back in 1976 their phone number was (913)993-1566.

In a 1974 issue of Motor Trend magazine, there was a feature on custom Eldorado Station Wagons and these pick-ups, and photos showed a Dynasty Red pick-up with White Leather interior reportedly created for Evel Knievel! (Also featured was a Persian Lime Firemist & White Eldorado Station Wagon created for singer Glenn Campbell.) Ive read that Hillcrest Motor Company of Beverly Hills, CA, commissioned several of these vehicles.

These pick-ups were marketed as the "Mirage" Sports Wagon [pick-up], and in 1975, the ultimate Christmas gift in the Dallas based Neiman-Marcus department stores catalog was a Mirage pick-up shown in Rosewood color. There is a small (8 1/2" x 11") three-fold brochure describing the Mirage pick-ups, with nice photos, given out at Cadillac dealerships. It reads, "A Cadillac Coupe deVille custom converted to a Sports Wagon for use by the discriminating sportsman, rancher or gentleman farmer. The craftsmanship complementary to the Cadillac highlights this unique vehicle." There is also in the brochure a description and photos of the "Castilian" Fleetwood Estate Wagon (a station wagon conversion of a Fleetwood Brougham). You might find a brochure offered for sale at the McLellans Automotive Literature web-site:

http://www.mclellansautomotive.com TARGET=_blank>www.mclellansautomotive.com

The only mention Ive seen of the conversion being on a Calais Coupe is in Walter M.P. McCalls book "80 Years of Cadillac LaSalle." None of my reference books mention how many of these classy vehicles were actually created. Hope this information is helpful to you.

Dave Smith #17592

Jim,  

Try looking through the Cadillac clubs huge database.  I recall seeing alot of info on those conversions there.

Bill Hedge

Jim:  

I apologize for the slow response to your questions.  I had been looking for a “Cadillac pickup” for several years before finding mine. This fall I became the owner of a 1975 Cadillac Mirage conversion pickup which I purchased about four months ago.  This vehicle has 4,000 original miles.  My car, as I believe most, was sold in a western state, in this case California.  The window sticker, which I have, shows that it was sold at a Cadillac dealership located in San Diego.  It listed for $8,600.00.  The options and their price were: Deville Cabriolet $315.00; leather upholstery $200.00; A.M. Stereo radio/tape player $229.00; two door edge guards $7.00;  tilt and telescope steering wheel $98.00;   twilight sentential $45.00; cruise control $100.00; mirror right side control $29.00; thermometer L.H. outside mirror $17.00; California emmission equipment and Test $45.00; destination charge $420.00; for a total sale price of $10,105.00

What are they worth?  Below are some actual sales figures and listings that I have seen rather recently.  

A reporter for "Old Cars Weekly" in the January 12, 2006 issue on page 39 thereof reported that at the McCormick Palm Springs Auction, Palm Springs, California during 11/19-11/20/05 that a 1975 Cadillac Mirage Pick up sold for $22,500.00.  The condition of the car was not reported.

The January, 2006 issue of the "Self Starter" has a 1972 Sedan De Ville pick up conversion for sale.  It looks like a nice car but it is not a Mirage which may be good or bad depending on your point of view.  The asking price is $10,000.00.

A 1976 Mirage with 38,000 miles was recently listed on Ebay.  This automobile was bid up to $11,100.00 without reaching its reserve when the auction ended on January 11, 2006.  This vehicle was just listed again on Ebay with a starting bid of $9,777.00.  I have not seen this vehicle so I do not know its true condition.  But, if it is in as good of a condition as it appears, I understand why the seller turned down an offer of $11,100.00.

Without disclosing what I paid, I would indicate that I recently turned down an unsolicited offer a little lower than the sale price of the 1975 Mirage sold at the Mc Cormick Palm Springs Auction.

I have seen these types of vehicles for sale with asking prices over $30,000.00.

In response to your question as to how many of the Mirages were produced I can fairly confidently say that the production numbers were quite low.  For the year 1975 I have seen one production estimate of 189 and another estimate of 239.  

Based upon the above, I would say that the vehicle is worth something once it is restored.  The real question is how much is it going to cost to restore?  One does not have to be in this hobby for very long to see cars restored that are worth maybe $10,000.00 once restored at a cost of $50, 000.00 plus to restore.  If you are looking at the purchase as an investment, it is a “simple” matter of adding the cost of purchase to the cost of restoration and deciding whether the vehicle is worth restoring.  However, if you have a true “passion” for this car, then the above formula may not work.

After I have acquired more information that I can document I hope to compose an article on the Mirage for publication in the “Self Starter”.  If any of you have any additional information about these vehicles I would appreciate hearing from you.