News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Eldorado Brougham delivery destinations

Started by Jimmy Alston, April 08, 2005, 04:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Alston

Does anyone know of an easy way to find out where the 1957-60 Eldorado Broughams were delivered when new?  Im just curious to know if Alabama ever saw one, as I saw it mentioned on another site that only two supposedly made it to Georgia.  I know my grandfather (now deceased) had a friend in the late-1950s that had "one of those suicide door Cadillacs".  He lived in Mobile, AL, but that doesnt mean he purchased it there.  Thanks.

Johnny

There is record of one 1957 Eldorado Brougham being delivered to     Boolie Werthan of Atlanta Georgia.  Boolie was a great Cadillac enthusiast, who also purchased Cadillac sedans for his mother Daisy, to be chauffeured by a black man named Hoke. Hoke was in the habit of buying the Werthans cars as they got new ones.  I would imagine Hoke might have eventually taken over the Brougham, when Boolie started buying Mercedes.

Yann Saunders, CLC No. 12588

The destination of all Broughams (1957-60) is known.  The records were compiled by the late Cy Strickler for the first BOA [Brougham Owners Association].

I have those records in S. Carolina, but right now Im in London and wont have access to them until April 24.

If your question has not been answered by that time, please get back to me.

Charles D. Barnette #1465

According to the source mentioned by Yann i.e. the 1977-78 Roster of The Brougham Owners Association compiled by Mr.Cy Strickler from Detroit records the following number of Eldorado Broughams were shipped to Alabama broken down by year:1957-3, 1958-3, 1959-1, and 1960-3. It is not broken down by city and Mr. Strickler states that just because a car was shipped to Alabama does not necessarily mean that the customer took delivery in Alabama. I own #590-a 1958 Eldorado Brougham. Hope this helps. Charles D. Barnette

Johnny

Jimmy Alston

OK, thanks for the info.  That is more that I wouldve figured.  I was doubtful that we wouldve received any of the 59s or 60s, but I guess we did after all!  I wonder if there are any (from any of the years) still remaining here.  I suppose I should join this club so I would have easier access to info.  Thanks again.

Kathy M.

Johnny - Nice fabricated story and to think you Derek derwood were hammerring Yann over his liitle faux pas on the database

What "little faux pas on the Database"?

I recall relating a story about how the media were gullible; this had followed an article on the Hartmann V16 published in the French magazine, "NITRO", some 14 years before the Database ever existed.

Some people (like Derek) added  2 + 2 and got 5.

I have not lost any sleep over the "incident" in question, nor have I noticed any drop in the number of visitors to the Database and its store of "deliberately false information."

Yikes !

Johnny aka Boolie

Quote from: Kathy M.Johnny - Nice fabricated story and to think you Derek derwood were hammerring Yann over his liitle faux pas on the database

What fabricated story?  You mean there really wasnt a Miss Daisy and her son Boolie (I just love that name} LOL.

Like Yann I really dont want to rehash the whole incident.  Let me just say this, its a matter of reputations.  Yann has compiled the most impressive database I have ever seen regarding anything.  I never cease to be amazed and impress with it, everytime I visit it, which is quite frequent.  The whole incident was a misunderstanding that got blown out of proportion.  On the other hand, myself have a  reputation of being a "class clown" and simpleness is expected and encouraged from me. I kinda think it was someone clever of me to make the association of an Southern Eldorado Brougham with the film "Driving Miss Daisy", if I may say so myself, and I may!  I think  it should have been obvious to everyone that I was just being silly and trying to entertain people.  I guess I better keep my day job, if I had one......Im retired.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

The Eldorado Brougham used in the movie "Driving Miss Daisy" is now part of the Cadillac LaSalle Club Museum collection.  In the movie it is known as Boolies car.  However,the owner of the car affectionately called it "Dolly".  Although it spent most of its life in Atlanta ,GA it was originally delivered to Philadelphia,PA.  

Johnny aka Boolie

Quote from: Tim Pawl CLC#4383The Eldorado Brougham used in the movie "Driving Miss Daisy" is now part of the Cadillac LaSalle Club Museum collection.  In the movie it is known as Boolies car.  However,the owner of the car affectionately called it "Dolly".  Although it spent most of its life in Atlanta ,GA it was originally delivered to Philadelphia,PA.  

I knew that it was my car,I am orginally from Philadelphia.  Nice to know its being well taken care.

Dick Heller

What year was the Eldorado Brougham and the body number.  I havent seen the movie, Ill have to look for it on the Encore channels.

Dick

Quote from: Tim Pawl CLC#4383The Eldorado Brougham used in the movie "Driving Miss Daisy" is now part of the Cadillac LaSalle Club Museum collection.  In the movie it is known as Boolies car.  However,the owner of the car affectionately called it "Dolly".  Although it spent most of its life in Atlanta ,GA it was originally delivered to Philadelphia,PA.  

Johnny aka Boolie

Quote from: Dick HellerWhat year was the Eldorado Brougham and the body number.  I havent seen the movie, Ill have to look for it on the Encore channels.

Dick

I would also highly recommend another film for seeing great Cadillacs "Tin Men".  Plenty of late 50s and early 60s Cadillacs.  Actually the Cadillacs are sort of "unofficial" co-stars!  Great opening scene depicting the Cadillac showroom buying experience.

The showroom used for the movie, "Tin Men", was the Chesapeake Cadillac Co in Baltimore, MD, owned and run at that time by the brother of a collector friend of mine.

I still have somewhere one of the large, Stryrofoam mounted  Cadillac crests that were used as additional props on the set.

Johnny aka Boolie

Quote from: Yann Saunders, CLC No. 12588The showroom used for the movie, "Tin Men", was the Chesapeake Cadillac Co in Baltimore, MD, owned and run at that time by the brother of a collector friend of mine.

I still have somewhere one of the large, Stryrofoam mounted  Cadillac crests that were used as additional props on the set.

It might also be noted that a long standing CLC devotee, Gary Anderson, was called upon to supply as many 61 outside rear view mirrors as he could, for the scene where Richard Dreyfus rips off the mirror from Danny Devitos car.  I also might modestly say that I co-stared with my 54 Fleetwood in a film starring Robin Williams made for PBS.  It was my only venture into films, I resisted the call to Hollywood.....

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

The Eldorado Brougham is a 1957, Body # 272.   Fairfax Blue with Gray leather interior.