News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Need LaSalle ID info

Started by Andy, April 26, 2005, 01:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Hello,

I am in the process of looking at what the seller says is a 39 LaSalle.  One thing that I makes me wonder is the headlight location.  The car has the headlights in the front fenders, rather than them being attached to the center with what I call the "bullet" housing.  What year did the headlights move to the front fender location?

Thank you for the help.

Andy

Bill Hamilton

Andy,

1939 LaSalles had the headlights mounted in housings attached to the sides of the radiator shroud. The only year that the headlights on LaSalles were in the front fenders was 1940.

Bill Hamilton, CLC 16219
1940 LaSalle, 1942 Cadillac

Andy

Bill, Thanks for the reply.  I was able to find quite alot about the year to year differences in the database section of CLC.  This is a great site.  In terms of popularity and cost, would a 39 or a 40 be worth more at market?  The 40 I am looking at appears to be in nice shape.  Runs well, drives, ect.  I was actually looking at the car for my grandfather.  But, I think he is hung up on the 39s, mainly because he had one when he as younger.  Since the car is a 40, and you have a 40, is there anything in particular that I should be aware of?  Anything, trouble spots, that I should look for?

Thank you again for the help.

Andy

Bill Hamilton

Andy,

Rust is the biggest concern that you have. In 1940 there were two series of LaSalles-50 & 52. None of the sheet metal is interchangeable between the two. Most of the pot metal pieces are also unique to LaSalle. Remember that pot metal is VERY expensive to restore. Most of the running gear and power train pieces are readily available as they interchange with Cadillacs of the same era. My best advice, if you are looking to buy a classic car is to decide how much you can afford to spend to purchase the car, add in what you can spend to restore/repair the car and use that sum to buy a car in the best condition you can for the amount of money you have to spend. Also, Never throw out any thing that you replace until you are ABSOLUTELY sure you will NEVER need it again.

Bill Hamilton