News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Front End Cost 84 Eldorado

Started by Pat, July 26, 2005, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Upper and lower both sides, where and how much, not interested in Cadillac dealer, any reputable chains?

Pat

Dick Heller

Looks like the big three are going to extend the employee discount plan through Labor Day.  USA car buyers are now conditioned not only to expect cash rebates, they will now want the employee price.  What are the odds of holding out for a 2006 employee price?

Johnny

Quote from: Dick HellerLooks like the big three are going to extend the employee discount plan through Labor Day.  USA car buyers are now conditioned not only to expect cash rebates, they will now want the employee price.  What are the odds of holding out for a 2006 employee price?

With the current rebate/discount its really a crapshoot as to when to buy a new car.  I dont think the consumer can do much better then they can now with the discount program in effect.  I heard it has been so succesful that dealers inventories are at all time lows!  I do some work for a major GM dealer, and their inventory, which is usually large has been really depleted.

Past history tells us that large discounts/rebates rarely happen when new model year cars come out.  I did hear that the discount program might be discontinued, but the manufacturers are going to keep "sticker prices" low.  They finally found out that low prices above all, will sell cars!!!!!

PaulVW

According to the Wall Street Journal, the Employee pricing has been so successful that GM doesnt have enough inventory to keep running it for another month, so it is slated to end at the end of this month.  As to 2006, the Journal says GM is moving to lower no-haggle prices (probably with some equipment which is now standard being made optional).  They suggested that the new, re-designed DTS would have a list price that would be 4 to 6,000 less than the 2005 model, and GM wouldnt do the deep discounting it has been doing.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Lowering the list prices might work, but I wouldnt bet on it.  Buyers of domestic cars are too used to haggling, rebates, dealer discounts, employee pricing, etc.  Oldsmobile tried this tactic about 15 years ago for a couple of model years and it almost put the previously very successful local Olds dealer out of business as he was forced to sell his cars at the bargain sticker price while the Buick dealer could discount his similar cars and deliver them for less.

Mike #19861

Not sure what this has to do with employee pricing......

First of all, make sure the ball joints really do need replacing. Have them checked properly by a competent shop. The lower ball joints have a lot of play in them from new. So, they need to be checked with a dial indicator and compared with the published wear limits.

If they do need to be replaced, parts can be purchased from many of the name brand aftermarket suppliers such as Moog or TRW. They are of good quality and should run about $50 for each ball joint. Labour should run at adout 3-4 hours for both sides.

Mike