News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Question on interchangeability of 67/68 Eldorado interior “A” Pillars

Started by Matt CLC# 18621, November 27, 2005, 08:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC# 18621

Believe this question has previously been asked, however I cannot find it.

My 1967 Eldorado interior “A” Pillars appear to be metal, are the 1968 Eldorado interior “A” Pillars vinyl, and, if so, will the 1968 Eldorado interior “A” Pillars properly mount in the 1967 Eldorado?  I know there are many differences between the 67 and 68 Eldorado including the dashboard; therefore I am not sure if the 1968 Eldorado interior vinyl “A” Pillars will be a suitable replacement.

Thanks,

Matt

Alex Downie

Hi Matt,

I thought that 67-68 interior "A" pillar covers are the same.

For both years the inside pillars are metal, covered in padded vinyl, color keyed to the interior.  The chromed metal covers on 66 and earlier cars were outlawed to conform with new federal safety standards for interior parts reflectivity and occupant collision protection.

Yes, there are many detail differences in the interior between the 67 and 68 Eldorados.  Here are the ones I can recall:

-dashboard
-dash cluster (same, but rosewood panelled in 68)
-dash knobs
-door panels (built up in 67 vs. moulded in 68)
-rosewood panelling on doors and rear quarter panels in 68
-interior door opening handle location (on armrest in 67, moved below armrest in 68; drivers side rear release deleted for 68)
-power rear vent panes made standard equipment in 68 (optional for 67)
-seat upholstery pattern ("Strato" type seating frames are identical, only the uphostery pattern was changed)

Back to your question, I think the interior "A" frame pillars should interchange between 67 and 68.  I will dig thru my literature to confirm that the pillars were in fact padded in 67.

Cheers,

-Alex
CLC #14132 (68 Eldo)

Quote from: Matt CLC# 18621Believe this question has previously been asked, however I cannot find it.

My 1967 Eldorado interior “A” Pillars appear to be metal, are the 1968 Eldorado interior “A” Pillars vinyl, and, if so, will the 1968 Eldorado interior “A” Pillars properly mount in the 1967 Eldorado?  I know there are many differences between the 67 and 68 Eldorado including the dashboard; therefore I am not sure if the 1968 Eldorado interior vinyl “A” Pillars will be a suitable replacement.

Thanks,

Matt

Andrew 10642

Matt
68s had the plastic A pillar cover, in order to comply with more stringent federal safety standards.  See Ebay Item number: 4597269663 , which has decent enough photos to confirm the plastic appearance.  One photo shows the typical plastic scratches on the drivers A pillar, and the plastic matches the sheen of the dash and door panel too well, as compared to the metal.

I like the metal solely because they are not prone to the stress damage that the plastic is.  Both parts should fit, but the screw holes may not line up, or perhaps be compatible.  I do not know if there is an issue with dash integration, but the pads used in 67-68 really only differed around the center A/C vent as far as the naked eye is concerned, so I would think either A pillar cover would fit, even though the plastic cover would be incorrect.  There might be problems at the top of the windshield, but that may still be metal trim for both years, and the photos arent helpful.