News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1990 vs. ? broughm advice

Started by gerald ross, December 15, 2005, 12:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerald ross

the wife wants a minivan.  ill never buy a minivan.  but, ill always get another cadillac!  having established then the NEED for a large sized family hauler, i now wanna get a 1990-1992 brougham (thats the body style i prefer).  however, id like to hear some opinions on which model to look for.  from what ive read the 5.7L engine has the most torque both years, but significantly less in the 92 vs. the 1990 model.  what do yall think, about this issue as well as any others that should be considered.
thanks,
jerry
p.s. any leads would be appreciated as well.

Mike #19861

Absolutely. Any model with the EFI 5.7 is preferrable. The Carbed 5.0 (Olds 307) is a good reliable engine that can get some decent fuel economy, but it is a comparative slug. But be prepared to pay a premium for the 5.7. They are good reliable cars.

I prefer a Brougham dElegance in burgandy with a burgandy interior wnd a set of true-spokes.

These cars have more class in the glove box door than any mini van in the world. No mini vans in this household!

Mike

Doug 16070

Go with either the 91 or 92 because of the EFI. I have a 91 5.0  Brougham which performs very well. Nice cars. Most generally they have a few on E-Bay. I took mine to Grand Natl, got 25 MPG & won First place in primary class. Good luck in your search for one.

Jack CLC#22497

HI Jerry, I have a beautiful 1992 Brougham with 21,000 ORIGINAL
miles on it, Light metallic Blue with Blue leather in showroom
condition. It has the 5.0 engine that gives great milage and
I feel that it has good acceleration. I also have a 1995 Buick
Roadmaster with a 5.7 engine for comparison and I think the
Cadillac could hold its own against any of the big cars.
The Cadillac is in Wilmington,DE. stored in a heated garage
under a car cover. The price is $8,900 (Christmas special).
Call me at (302)456-9450

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Re: Mini-van...I felt just the same as you did. Then I had three "local" grandkids. My wife was literally bruising her hands, fastening the  three child seats in the back of our 1996 Park Avenue. We have had three Olds Siloghettes since. They drive like a car and the grand kids dont fight for seats in the car. Sure, they dont look as classy as a Cadillac, but you know the old saying. "If mamma aint happy, NO ONEs happy." Buy her the van. You wont regret it. (My son felt the same way, now hes got an Odyssy after having the Toyota van as well.) And when you go to Lowes or Home Depot, the extra room is fantastic!

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Same thing applies to weddings, as well. Guys should do what the women say. Go get measured for your tux, show up sober, and pay for whats necessary without griping. It saves LOTS of grief!

gerald ross

thanks for the advice:  the rule of the happy mama is well known, myself having learned it first hand after marrying a once easy-going girl who cares not about things automotive.  however, as her tahoe can swallow  our two baby strollers and all the kids assorted accoutremnets (of which there is always a considerable amount even when taking short jaunts) shell make due with her luxobarge for around town excursions.  in the meantime though ive landed upon a happy medium for longer trips and managed to satisfy both my desire for another cadillac and her desire for something lower to the ground.  were getting a 1965 series 75 limo.  irrational?  perhaps.  not a minivan?  you betcha!
jerry