News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

One man brake bleeding

Started by Porter, January 13, 2005, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise McCracken

How did this thread get back up to the top?  I replied to it, then found that I replied with basically the same answer a year ago.

Isnt it nice to know that things never change...

-d

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Steven,

I use a "G" cramp to hold the "lid" on tight.

If you like, I can send you a picture of what I did.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Densie,

You gotta check the dates at the right side to see if it is old or new.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Jim Snell #21544

Howdy,
The speed-bleeders actually do have a thread sealant pre-applied to each unit. The manufacturer is aware of leakage of air through the threads, and have installed the sealant to prevent this. I have been using these for a few years on motorcycles. They work good, and are well made...
Jim Snell in Indiana

JIM CLC # 15000

01-11-06
Bruce,  It has always been my practice to "tighten" the bleeder plug while the dummy eh eh helper has the brake padel down, Thereby no air can get in. (boy, this is an old thread)
Good Luck, Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Jim,

I am with you, tighten, press pedal, release fluid/air, tighten, release and press pedal, etc, etc.

The "Pedal Presser" is always complaining of a tiring leg, but forgets about us poor guys on the other end, laying on the ground, getting down and dirty.   Using a spanner whilst trying to hold a piece of plastic in the nipple and trhe other end in a bottle to catch the dregs.   And, having to get up to refill the M/C when required.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV.

Porter 21919

I noticed recently at my NAPA store they have them out on the floor on a "gondola".

LOL,

Porter

denise 20352

What in the fluck is a G-cramp?

John #22631

Denise,
You have read between the lines to decipher what the upside-down Aussie is on about. C-Clamp baby, C-Clamp.

You can rebuild a car from the ground up, Make your own hydraulic lift using a P/S pump, but you cant figure Bruce out yet. LOL
John

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

John,

By the time Densie has figured me out, life wont be worth living.

Bruce, (who speaks the Queens English and spells correctly, at times)
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

JIM CLC # 15000

01-12-06
Denise, I think Bruce is referring to what is known hereabouts as a "C" clamp.
Good Luck, Jim

Porter 21919

Jim,

Bruce just took a piece of flat stock steel and used a rubber gasket and some type of fitting for his air pressure.

And of course a "C" clamp to hold it down.

Reminds me of a buddy of mine, took a pair of Chevy valve covers and cut the tops off, allows you to adjust the valves without the oil splashing all over the place while the engine is running.

Porter

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Densie and Jim,

The correct name for a screw clamp that I used is a "G Cramp".

You see, when viewed from the side, it gives the appearance of the letter "G".

Granted, part of it looks like a "C", but when the screw is attached, the "G" shape appears.

Now it is a Cramp, and not a Clamp, because a Clamp (noun): A piece of timber or iron used to strengthen or fasten...... Whereas a Cramp (noun): Piece of iron bent at the ends, to hold together pieces of timber, stones, etc....... Source, Websters Dictionary.   Attach the capacity to make it adjustable via the means of a screw, and it becomes a "G Cramp"

When I made up my own "Pressure Bleeder", I silver soldered an air fitting to an old M/C cap, and installed it on the M/C, and presurised it with low air pressure.   But, it leaked around the seal so I had to apply the G Cramp to apply more pressure to retain the seal.   The standard wire retaining device is only to keep the cap in place and not hold pressure.

Porter,

I did the same thing with a Chevrolet SB Rocker Cover but the oil still went everywhere as the oil came out of the pushrod seat at pressure.   Decided that it was a waste of time.   Plus, it wrecked a perfectly good rocker cover, and they arent that plentiful here in Tasmania to simply cut up.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

JIM CLC # 15000

01-13-06
Bruce, Just because youre "down-under", you could at the very least, "cut us a little slack". If it is know in most of the world as a "C" "CLAMP", just go alone with it. Denise, you can also use the "fast-action" hand operatored clamps. Made by "Stanly" and others.
Good Luck, Jim

john #22631

Technicalities, Technicalities!!!!!!

denise 20352

> By the time Densie has figured me out, life wont be worth living.

I put it on my list of things to do, in between building a pumpkin launcher and cleaning up the yard.

-d