News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

70s Eldorado Wire Wheels NOW MADE!!!

Started by Dave MacGregor #18998, January 09, 2006, 11:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave MacGregor #18998

Although Im really a purist most of the time with my Eldorado and even with my daily driver Dakota Quad Cab, once in a while I see something that does intrigue me for possibilities with the right car and the right person.  (Again, not me though.)

Apparantly, this company sees a demand now to make real D.O.T. approved wire wheels for the older full sized Eldorados from the 70s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-72-73-74-75-76-77-78-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-WIRE-WHEELS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43955QQitemZ8028192388QQrdZ1 TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-72-73-74-75-76-77-78-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-WIRE-WHEELS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ

I can very easily picture these wheels on some modified or slightly modified Eldorados and look classy at that.

My main point in this post is that its nice to see that a more mainstream company out there sees a market this specialized to go through the investment of designing, tooling, and manufacturing a product as this for a vehicle limited in popularity as compared to the vast muscle car enthusiasts, etc.

Hopefully through efforts like this company and others, repro, aftermarket, or whatever, that preservation of our old Caddys becomes easier be it modified, or original.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Dave,

I saw those the other day, and thought they were beautiful, and at around $600.00 each, not bad considering the small and limited market.

Personally, I hate wire wheels because they are such a "dog attractor", and there is nothing worse than Dog Piddle, or is there?

I hope they sell heaps so that the availability of used ones comes sooner than later.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Mike #19861

Very nice. Now the choice of real wires over those tacky fake covers.

Mike

Joe G. 12138

I agree....its great to see someone finally do repros or aftermarket for something besides a Chevy, even if its for a more limited audience. For example, theyre making repro gas tanks for any Chevy from 1941 on up....including wagons. Were stuck with patching, relining, or buying used ones that are probably marginal at best. (unless youve got a 59 or 60). Im really thinking strongly about kissing this originality idea goodbye. Its not just the money but a safety and reliability issue. Im considering buying a NEW Chevy tank (58 or 59) and relocating filler and vent tubes, and running with an aftermarket sender for the 1950. I can do all this for a lot less than a "Renu" job on my crappy old tank. At best, Ill still have a Crappy old tank, But not leaking at the moment.
   I hope this idea of decent aftermarket stuff for Caddies keeps going. I believe theres a market for it, and a lot of Cad/ Las owners would open their wallets gladly!

Jeff Pendleton CLC 22056

At $1200, like the Deville wires, I might be tempted, but at almost $3000 with shipping and the better emblems??? Anybody know of a good used set:)

Maria Schultz

I dont see a Department of Transporation approval rating. Would look nice on my 1972 Eldorado Coupe.

Maria

George Woodford clc21025

I called today about these rims and asked some questions.  I was interested in knowing how the valve stems are installed.  The rim uses a standard chrome valve stem unlike the stem used on the original rim.  I guess I used up my time discussing the matter with the representative as he informed me they were actually closed.  He didnt seem interested in answering any additional questions that I had on my mind.  For $2800 for a set of rims and poor business attitude, I will yield on this item.