News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

85 Fleetwood

Started by George UK, January 25, 2006, 10:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George UK

A guy in England has an 1985 Cad Fleetwood for sale on E-bay.
The car looks tasty enough but the seller insists its original and is a 2 litre.
I cant find a 2litre Cadillac engine offered for that year.
Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

wm link

The engine in that car is a 4.1. There can be found a lot of bad press on that engine.I know of many with very high miles and still going strong. If the engine over heats...they are often finished. They have beeen known to get water in the oil, be sure to check the oil for evidence of water. They get great gas mileage...A friend of mine bought one...and so far is pleased with the car and the price.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

I had an 85 Sedan deVille; because of that engine (and transmission), the troubles I had, and Cadillacs half measures to keep it running & rolling, I swore I would never buy another new Cadillac (and I wont) although I love and own some of the older ones.  This from someone whose family at one time owned the oldest continuous operating Cadillac dealership (sub-dealer) in the United States.  No doubt SOME of those engines and transmissions provided good service, I would hazard to say though that just as many (if not more) did NOT.
As Mr. Bentwrench pointed out in the Self-Starter some time ago that engine soon made a good (though expensive) boat anchor.  My opinion.