News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1962 Eldorado hardtop (?) on e-Bay

Started by Richard Sills - CLC #936, June 27, 2006, 07:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Sills - CLC #936

There is a listing on e-Bay for a one-of-a-kind 1962 Eldorado hardtop - item #270002152382.  Any thoughts as to whether this could have been factory-built in this form?

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Richard,

From the seller’s description (Vin model 6347) I’d say it’s a CDV with factory or dealer installed Eldorado trim. The Fire Mist color could have been a special order. The interior is DeVille style but the seat backs are missing the two buttons. If it were a real factory custom, I’d expect it have Eldorado style interior and an “XP” number for the model or trim. …….Having said that, it’s still a nice looking car.

MHO,

Ralph

Geoff Newcombe #4719

I agree with Ralphs "HO" on all counts.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Please see my comments in the technical area. Bob

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Thanks for your comments, Bob.  My guess is that, while a Cadillac dealer may have installed special trim at the request of a new car customer, he would not have affixed the nameplate of a different series Cadillac.  "Dealer special" cars or regional trim options generally received a nameplate that did not mimic any factory-produced model.

This car is probably either (1) modified by a private party sometime after it left the Cadillac showroom, or (2) a factory one-off design experiment.  The Cadillac Database indicates that at least one Eldorado hardtop was produced in the 1964 model year, and I know that a few four-door Eldorado Sevilles were produced in 1957.  In both cases, these are cars that we would ordinarily think the factory did not build.

The seller of this car on e-Bay does not assert that the car was factory-built in its present form.  Also, the resale value of a 1962 coupe in "presentable, but not pristine" condition would not seem to warrant the cost of an elaborate fabrication.  So it is an interesting mystery, unless someone with knowledge of what the factory was doing in 1962 can confirm one way or the other.        

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

I agree with Richard, with the added observation that, if it were a factory one-off, I would expect it to have an Eldorado-style interior, rather than de Ville trim.