News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Calling All Sleuths: Researching NY State vehicle registrations

Started by OK, May 01, 2007, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK

I'm trying to research the history of a 1935 car that I know was initially registered in New York City.  I'd like to find out the original owner, and I figure the best way to find that out would be to obtain the original registration.  I filed an official request to obtain the original registration with the New York State DMV, but they responded a few weeks later that the state DMV didn't keep records that far back.  Does anyone know if those kinds of records might be available elsewhere?  Does the city of New York keep such records somewhere?  Any ideas? Thanks!
O. Kerr

Davidinhartford

That's going to be impossible without some additional information.

Do you have a license plate number?

Some states used to publish an Annual Registration Book.   It listed all the plate numbers and who they were registered to.     Connecticut used to do that.    But even here those books are as rare as hens teeth.

OK

Unfortunately, I don't have a license plate number.  There's a story passed on about the car's original owner, so I have a possible name, and I also know the month in which the car was delivered, as well as the city (NYC).  But unfortunately that's all I have.
O. Kerr