News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

70 Steering Wheel Clear/Wood Insert Restore??

Started by John Morris #23947, December 28, 2007, 12:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris #23947

Hello again. I have a 70 Eldo which has a fabulous original interior. The steering wheel has only one hairline crack, but the edge of the wheel facing the driver has a clear plastic ring insert, which appears to have a woodgrain underneath the clear. This ring is all dry and cracked badly, ruining the appearance of the interior. I have tried to brainstorm this without any experience restoring steering wheels. I thought of using a large "compass" circle maker to cut genuine wood and plastic rings, then bevel and polish the plastic ring? Am I wasting my time? Would anyone out there know where to send this wheel for a correct repair?
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Lou, it looks good. Did they remold the wheel and put in the new woodgrain insert, or did they just do the insert?  Do you have a link for them? Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Anthony Amman #15293

J.B. Donaldson in Arizona does custom steering wheel work, as well as re-casting of steering wheels in the original colors used by the factory.  I had them do mine (1947 Cad.) and it came back better than new.  I can't praise their work enough.

Anthony

steeringwheelsusa.com

Kerry Pilling

John, I have a 70 Deville with the same type of wood/plastic insert. I went a little different way. I bought a high quality genuine leather steering wheel wrap and laced it over the less than perfect wheel and I have to say it looks great! The color matches the dash and I've had dozens of compliments. I like the look and feel and it was under $50.00. Just a thought! Happy Motoring! Kerry

TJ Hopland

Grip tape for golf clubs or old style racing bicycles offer inexpensive covering options also.  The bicycle stuff comes in many styles and colors.  Im not a golfer but I imagine there would be options there also.

This is the only pic I can find, it was my first experiment with tape I had laying around. This tape is some sort of fake leather with a slight pad to it.  It was 'proof of concept'  had to pick a better color and do a better job around the spokes which should be much easier on the earlier 3 spoke wheels.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Don Collier

I went South Paw's route - used Gary's to do the wheel in my 76 Eldorado.  In fact, at the time I had him do it, he was only one of two people that I could find that would even attempt the inlaid Cadillac wheel.  Most of the outfits / individuals I spoke to said "Sure, we can redo your wheel, it's not one of those inlaid ones is it..." or "We can redo the wheel, but, it won't have the inlay, it will be solid color..."  Was a bit of heart stopper when I got the price quote, but, money well spent.  Looks and feels new (is new IMHO).  Would definitely use him again, if ever the need arose.  ;)
Don   :)
[green]1976 L67 Eldorado[/green]

[green]If you are reading this, Thank a Teacher[/green]
[green]If you are reading this in English, Thank a Vet[/green]

TJ Hopland

So what kind of money are we talking here?    Really nice wheels from that vintage seem to be $300-1000 on ebay.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

STDog

Quote from: TJ H on March 27, 2008, 07:35:44 PM
So what kind of money are we talking here?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it  >:D

Form the site
QuotePRICE-each wheel is evaluated according to its condition. For free estimate, send the wheel to us and we will call you with a price. If we agree, we start restoration, if not we will return your wheel at no charge.
COST RANGEâ€"is $350.00 to $1200.00 depending on the condition of a color cracked steering wheel
average COST $475.00
average COST for 64-67
Corvette wood grain $275.00
For mopar wood grain $350.00
For GTO wood grain $350.00
For 56 â€" 62 Corvette $425.00
For mopar rim blo $375.00 plus $190.00 for new horn switch installed.

Figure a Cadillac wheel will be above average. I seem to remember being told $500+ for my '70 based on the pictures I send him. And it's not bad except the acrylic where the wood inlay should be.

Tim120

I too had my steering wheel restored by Garry's Steering Wheel a few years back and he did a wonderful job. One thing I did was purchase a wheel from Ebay in put that one on while mine was being restored. I believe the cost of the restored wheel was under $ 500.  My wheel was for my 1970 Deville Convt.   :)
TJPerry CLC Member 18398

Don Collier

It was a long time ago that I had mine done...   Memory serves me that it was something just under $550 total. 
At that time $550 was more like $1000 today  :o
Like Tim120, I bought a "junk" wheel off eBay - my wife almost gagged when she got into the all Buckskin
interior and noticed the trash green wheel  ;D  Had to be able to drive!  You really don't think much about
it, but, it is amazing how strange a car looks with no steering wheel ???
Don   :)
[green]1976 L67 Eldorado[/green]

[green]If you are reading this, Thank a Teacher[/green]
[green]If you are reading this in English, Thank a Vet[/green]