News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

HT4100 FAIL!

Started by nycnftm, December 29, 2008, 03:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Does it run normally after a few minutes when this happens?

Could be true.   There are sensors that tell the computer if the engine is warn or cold and therefore how much fuel it should need to run under those conditions.  If a sensor is flat out bad it should turn on the check engine light but if the sensor is just off a bit it could be telling the computer that the engine is fully warmed up even though its not so the computer gives it less fuel.  With a scan tool you can see what each sensor is reading.  In some manuals there are also charts that tell you how many ohms a sensor should read at various temps so with a temp gun and an ohm meter you can find out if the sensor(s) are at least close.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bry85

Aaahhh....that makes sense!  I'll have it checked!  Good to know I'm not crazy!

Bry85

Hard to tell what's normal with this car! It's been sitting for years! The "Service Soon" light does go on and off......usually "on" in warmer weather.

Ohio57-62Sedan

Quote from: TJ Hopland on March 15, 2009, 03:09:20 PM
Does it run normally after a few minutes when this happens?

Could be true.   There are sensors that tell the computer if the engine is warn or cold and therefore how much fuel it should need to run under those conditions.  If a sensor is flat out bad it should turn on the check engine light but if the sensor is just off a bit it could be telling the computer that the engine is fully warmed up even though its not so the computer gives it less fuel.  With a scan tool you can see what each sensor is reading.  In some manuals there are also charts that tell you how many ohms a sensor should read at various temps so with a temp gun and an ohm meter you can find out if the sensor(s) are at least close.   

Ditto on that one get a scaner.... or you can pull the codes from the Heater control, Hold the warm and off button together for a couple seconds, and write down the code's. we will be able to tell you what they are.. I forget but they might show up in the gas MPG guage.

homeonprunehill

03-16-09
BRY85 what you can do with the "CHECK ENGINE SOON"light is to disconnect the BATTERY for 30 seconed or longer then reconnect BATTERY if the fault is true it will come back,  if the indication is not true, it will stay-out. Many a problem has been  solved with this methold and a few parts sold under warrenty.  HTH,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Bry85

Thanks......I think the new battery solved that issue.  I do need to replace the Master Cylinder and booster on the brakes......what's a "fair" rate for the mechanic to charge me??  I know brake parts are reasonable....it's the labor charge they nail you on.

Derek

Quote from: nycnftm on December 29, 2008, 03:51:53 AM
I was considering replacing the engine in my 83 Eldorado Biarritz  .  I either need a new engine or sell the car.  I believe I have head gasket failure. I'm losing coolant (water) everytime I drive the car. Recently I replaced the radiator, at the time the shop put in magic in a bottle head gasket fixer.  The mechanic said, sell it, run away, but of course I didn't listen.  When I do drive it, there is a bottom end knock when you idle not when accelerating.  Other than the knock and the loss of coolant it runs ok.  I want to know my options.  What would it run to put a rebuilt Chevy 350 in there.  Or is there something else I could try.  I spent $1000 fixing it this year and do not want to spend more than another $1000.  If all else fails I will try to sell it and recoup some of my money.  The body is straight and I think I can sell the rear E&G kit for about $400.

You're lucky you're getting a warning...

My '82 CDV with no problems whatsoever in the time I owned it, blew catastrophically at 82k a mile from the house one day.  Started sounding like a bucket of bolts in the engine and before I could even turn the key off, she was locked up tight and coasting.

I parted as much as I could and sold the bulk of the car for scrap.  I got a $20 bill to help offset the $60 towing bill to the junkyard.

Bry85

I had what I thought was excessive "white" smoke coming from my exhaust. A mechanic look at it and said it was "blueish" smoke due to a bad sensor that was located in the dash board behind the glove box?  Can anyone elaborate on what this was??

bcroe

Putting a 350 or 403 in a 79-85 E car is a bolt in, except for the electronics.  The 403 is a real mover, speaking from experience.  The problem is the fuel injection, which can be avoided by using a carb.  That leaves all the other car electronics that used to tie into the fuel injection.  Cory seems to have worked most of that out; my 403 is in a 79 with simpler electronics. 

I had a 63 215 with air, but it DIDN'T overheat in traffic.  That is, after I put in a 3 row or 4 row (cross flow for turbo) radiator, an overflow tank, a proper clutched 7 blade fan, and a custom FAN SHROUD.  In other words, just modernized it a bit.  Overheating earlier was not because of the aluminum engine.  Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

mkylmamaa

I was considering of buying a '84 Brougham D'Elegance. It has about 40k miles and the original engine. I don't know of any problems in the engine, but sounds like I'd be better off saving myself the trouble of dealing with the HT4100? How much would the easiest drop-in replacement for this engine cost if I decided to get it and it blew? Or would you just recommend running and not looking back?  :D

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: mkylmamaa on January 06, 2010, 11:04:35 PM
How much would the easiest drop-in replacement for this engine cost if I decided to get it and it blew?

More than you will pay for the car.

There is no "drop in replacement" other than another HT4100.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

mkylmamaa

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 06, 2010, 11:23:40 PM
More than you will pay for the car.

There is no "drop in replacement" other than another HT4100.

Thanks. Sounds like I better skip this one.

John Bezik #15976

Why do you think it is called HT4100??Because it will give you a Hard Time 4100 different ways....

Dave Shepherd

How about the using a 4.5, should be just about a bolt in and they are more available.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on January 08, 2010, 11:10:29 AM
How about the using a 4.5, should be just about a bolt in and they are more available.

Unfortunately, the much better 4.5 won't work in an '84 Fleetwood Brougham because its engine is longitudinal and all the 4.5's are for transverse applications.

robailey

I have a question about the 4100. I have a 87 sixty special and it has had no major problems with the engine.  I have been told that there is a special procedure for changing the oil.  Any information would be appreciated.
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS