News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Help Identify 30's Tranny

Started by Shooter, February 23, 2009, 11:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter

I have a transmission that is believed to have come out of a Cadillac in the 30's. I have no way of identifying it and I am asking for your help. If you can spare the time and email me I can provide more photo's with a detailed description. Pics may be too big & not sure if or how I can post them here. With the information I have provided would it be possible for you to ID this transmission? I know it's difficult without being able to physically look at it but all of the old timers in my area are gone. I have exhausted myself trying to find someone locally. Everyone I have asked makes a guess but is not 100% certain what it belongs to. The internet seems to be my last chance. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Rcris45@hotmail.com

harvey b

Hello Shooter,is it a side shift or a top shift tranny,caddy went to a side shift tranny in 1938,a 3 on the tree,37 down the shifter was up through the floor,look and see if there are any casting numbers on it too,the picture you posted isnt enough to tell?maybe a pic of the side view and a close up of any numbers you see.this will be a good start.HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Shooter

Thanks Harvey, Its a floor shift.  I have 7 pics and found it hard to get them posted here.  I will  try it again.  There is a the number 831 cast on the side of the case.  Yesterday I was given an Ebay number that looked very much like this one and it was listed as 37 Cad/Lasalle.

Shooter

It will only let me post one pic here is another..

Shooter

The last one was from Ebay here is mine

Otto Skorzeny

The only difference between the two that I can see in the photos is the mounting bracket on the tail shaft. The rusty one is wider - maybe with a vertical mounting hole. The green one is pinched together with a horizontal hole. Maybe for different body styles.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

shooter

This is the bottom of the case showing the access plate.  I dont know if these are helpful . If you email I can give you all of the dimensions and the 7 pictures.  I can take more pics if these dont show what your looking for..  Thanks again..

Shooter

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on February 24, 2009, 08:50:26 AM
The only difference between the two that I can see in the photos is the mounting bracket on the tail shaft. The rusty one is wider - maybe with a vertical mounting hole. The green one is pinched together with a horizontal hole. Maybe for different body styles.

Thanks Otto. A picture of the bottom mounting bracket.  Looks like an ear and there is a flat two bolt surface that it must rest on.  Not sure.  

Shooter

Here is a closer look of the bottom access plate..

Mike Simmons 938

My money says you have a 1937 Cadillac trans-possibly from a V-12. I'm not sure but I too have one with that weird flange on the extension housing which I was led to believe was the anchor point for a steady rod  (or whatever) going back to the rear end,  that helped cope with clutch chatter on the longer wheelbase cars. Perhaps the series 75 didn't need it (or it fits both). Or my informant was all wrong. Whatever. The LaSalles and short wheelbase series 60s (I think) are the ones that used the cross-mount casting in the extension housing that is shown in the illustration in the parts book.

Shooter

Quote from: Mike Simmons 938 on February 25, 2009, 12:28:08 AM
My money says you have a 1937 Cadillac trans-possibly from a V-12. I'm not sure but I too have one with that weird flange on the extension housing which I was led to believe was the anchor point for a steady rod  (or whatever) going back to the rear end,  that helped cope with clutch chatter on the longer wheelbase cars. Perhaps the series 75 didn't need it (or it fits both). Or my informant was all wrong. Whatever. The LaSalles and short wheelbase series 60s (I think) are the ones that used the cross-mount casting in the extension housing that is shown in the illustration in the parts book.

Thanks Mike.  I got another response telling me its  a 1935-37 Cadillac LaSalle transmission.  I found one on Ebay.  When you have a chance go
there and look at this Item number: 170303789297.  Its for a 37 Cad/LaSalle and I  compared it to mine. It looks pretty close except for the side mount.  When I post it for sale I want to be sure I have an accurate description for anyone that interested in it..  Thanks again

Mike Simmons 938

Hi Shooter. I checked it and it is a '37 LaSalle  trans as stated. I believe the same style rear mount is used on the short-wheelbase Cads of that year (series 60). I think series 65 and up (except series 90-V16) used the longer extension housing with the long flat mounting area,which I think is used by all Cad-LaSalles in later years.. For 1937,Series 90 continued to use the trans they had in 1936. That extra flange sticking out the side of your  rear housing is the rather unique feature that I THINK was only found on the 138-inch WB V-12, thought it might include the series 75 as well. Yours and mine are the only two I have seen with this feature .
This trans was a new design for 1937, and was not the same as those preceding it. In 1938, a number or internal and external changes were made as it was converted to column-shift operation.
Which brings up a pet peeve. The ad in eBay that you cited continues the stupid error of referring to these FLOOR SHIFT trans as "top loaders". That term originated with- and should be limited to- the heavy duty Ford 4-speed introduced in the later 60s, which had a plate on top of the trans that was removed in order to work on it-"loading" new gears, etc. If anything, the 37 Cad-LaSalle trans is a "bottom-loader", thought I hope that term never gains currency.
As an old fogie, I also stand ready to bitch about the now-common use of "suicide doors" to mean any rear-hinged door (including rear doors on 4 door sedans, which were almost ALL rear hinged from the early 20s on until the '38 60S or the high-dollar customs of earlier years). In the absence of seat belts, rear hinged front doors of the early-mid 30s could accidently open in a curve leaving the driver desperately hanging to the steering wheel-or send the passenger sailing out the door completely-thus the "suicide" monicker. I could start on "radio-delete" in ads for later cars, but I've driveled on enough.Mike

Shooter

Thank you Mike and everyone else who has been so helpful & kind to me here.  The mystery is solved about this tranny’s identity.  I hear you about some of the terminology that gets tossed around today. I totally would agree with your assessment. This tranny is floor shift & bottom loader.   I suppose the access plate on the bottom should have been the first clue to the Ebay poster.  Thanks again.