News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1939 Cadillac Owners manual, Body manual & data booklet real or repro ?

Started by Mark G CLC#81, February 24, 2009, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G CLC#81

Gentlemen,

Is there any tried and true way of identifying an original owners manual, body manual and data booklet for a 1939?

I have all three, and have reason to think that the 2 manuals are originals, and the data book is a copy. The plastic binding rings on the data book seems to be a dead giveaway.

Any clues to look for on the Green body manual or green and white owners manual? Ie: staples/binding/etc...

If they are original, any idea of values?

Thanks
Mark

Otto Skorzeny

Generally speaking, depending on their condition they may be worth $15 to $50 each, maybe $75 or so. Since most people buy those to work on their cars, it usually doesn't matter whether they're original or repros as long as they're readable.

Check ebay, you might find others for sale.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Simmons 938

You raise a tough question, Mark. Since repros of owners manuals go back into the 70s, in some cases  further, wear isn't necessarily a clue. I have relied on the character of the vertical 5/8" or so wide vertical bar on the left side of the cover. Repros seem to be made by some sort of photographic process, and have absolutely straight margins; the originals are made by a true printing process using inks, and since the cover is textured, ink frequently runs a bit and the edges get a little irregular. Obviously, this is not the ""hard and fast" criterion you seek, but since the repros use the same paper, and rarely add any statement to identify them as repros (except for the early stuff by Floyd Clymer ), there is no single feature I know of that you can rely on, especially when buying on eBay (where EVERYONE seems to think they have mint originals)
The original data book has a wire binding-so your feelings about yours are correct.
I don't have any Fisher body repair book repros, so I can't compare them iith originals.

Warren Rauch

It is hard many times to tell a good repro. The people who bought them are no longer the owners.I find the best way is looking at the photos . The originals have clearer photos. The repros useally lose some detail.A screen is often put over the photo to copy it and it creates a pattern on the photo .If you are using the book in a restoration the lost detail can make or break the photo.I try to use a repro book in the shop and keep the original in the house ,for when I need the  clear   photo.                                                                                                                                                                           The repro Fisher book covers 39-40 ,so if you have a 39 only book it is original. It should have a fabric binding tape without a plastic coating. You say your Fisher book is green. Mine has tan paper covers with blue  printing.
On the owners manual , there were 3. 1 - LaSalle, 2-Cadillac V8, and 3- Cadillac V16. The (v8) came with lube diagrams for 75 only and the second all the others. THey were glued to the covers. So even if they are missing the glue won't likely be all gone.
  Value is more condition than anything Owners $15-75. Fisher Body $10-35.  Repro s are about $25 and 20 when new,but only $5-10 , when they show wear. Warren

Mark G CLC#81

Thanks for the information.

The Body manual does cover 39-40, it has a fabric binding over top of what appears to be staples. As I said the cover is an olive green with black print. The pictures looks sharp, but I don't have anything to compare too. It is very clean, and doesn't look like it was used in a shop at any time.

The owners manual has two rather well placed staples, and both fold outs are still in the back. I will have to take a closer look at the ink that was mentioned.

Be they real or repro, they are both great items

Mike Simmons 938

Mark- Judging by my collection paired years are more common then singles- I have: 1937 / 38; 1939-40 (a hardcover from a library so i can't guess the original cover color); a 1941 single; a 1941/42 printed in 1946;   and a 1946/47. The remaining 4  volumes are single year issues, but are aimed at specific cars. Eg, 1948 Cad 60.61,62 and Olds 98; 1949 Station Wagons; 1949 "A" body cars; 1949 Buick C-styles ; and 49 Special sport Coupe (the hardtop Buick,Olds and Cad).
Though Fisher body put out a lot of very helpful body service books pre-1950, as far as I can find out they seemed to stop from that year until the mid-60s. I would love to hear from anyone who has any from those "missing" years. Mike