News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

'41 Brake light switch

Started by John Polychron, February 25, 2009, 10:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Polychron

The brake lights on my '41 do not illuminate. I checked the bulbs and power
to the switch and all is okay. Neither NAPA nor Carquest offer a switch for
a '41. Where do I get one? Also, I read a post, or in the Self Starter, that
there may be a problem with having silicone in the brake system which is
what I have. Any and all replies will be appreciated. Thanks, John
'41 Cadillac Conv Cpe
'46 Cadillac Conv Cpe

35-709

Coopers Vintage Auto Parts  http://www.coopersvintage.com/  has them for $8.00 each. 
Do not believe the silicone fluid should have any adverse effect on it, assuming the system was new and clean any of DOT 3 or 4 fluid before the changeover to silicone fluid was made.  I am running the same type of switch with DOT 5 silicone fluid in my car.  Might add that in my experience those pressure type switches don't seem to last all that long anyway. 
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Don Boshara #594

This is my post from last November: I don’t think DOT 5 has anything to do with the stoplight switch failure. I believe it’s the crappy quality of the new replacement switches. As I recall, the brake juice doesn’t get into the contacts so it wouldn’t make any difference if you were using motor oil in the system.
Mine failed after 25 years so I bought a new one and a relay to put in the circuit to reduce the amperage that goes thru the switch. Give me another 25 years and I'll tell you if I'm correct.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Whit Otis, 1188

I have spoken with a number of people on this issue and for some reason it sticks in my mind that when people changed over to silicone brake fluid that a standard stop light switch did not last very long..... doesn't make much sense when you think about it.  Anyway, last year when I went through the brakes on my 40-75 and converted to silicone brake fluid, I went to the Harley Davidson dealer and bought a stoplight switch from them since all of their current motorcycles run silicone brake fluid.  It wasn't cheap.... about $24.  Here is the part number if you want to give it a shot:  72023-51D.  As I recall, it came in a plastic bag with the spade connectors included.
Good Luck
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger