News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Value of 1985 Cadillac Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Started by Andrew Garnett, April 07, 2009, 04:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The 4.5 was introduced on the '88 models.  It was improved over the HT4100 so significantly and, unlike the HT4100 which was rushed into production two years early, so thoroughly tested that virtually all of the shortcomings and service problems of the HT4100 were eliminated. The 4.5 and its longer-stroke successor, the 4.9,  were still aluminum block/cast iron head engines and the sealant tabs were still required (as they are on the all-aluminum Northstar), but they are not as necessary to reduce the possibility of coolant contamination of oil on the post-HT4100 engines.

Wynn Moore

Quote from: Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397 on April 13, 2009, 07:46:06 AM
The HT4100 engine was installed for six model years, 1982 through 1987.

True, but my understanding is that the problematic ones were from 82-85, and that starting with the '86's they were more reliable.....yes?

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Cadillac made improvements (or at least modifications) to the HT4100 as production continued and you'll hear some people say that the '84's, or the '85's, '86's, and '87's were more reliable than earlier ones. I have, however, either experienced personally or heard from friends and relatives of all the most common HT4100 problems (knocking, overheating, coolant in oil, accelerated camshaft and distributor drive wear, and broken crankshafts) in '84-'87 cars, so I'd say that any improvements that were made didn't do much to overcome the basic engineering and casting shortcomings of the engine and I would be just as wary of an '87 as I would an '82. Significant improvements in durability didn't come until the 4.5.

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Wynn Moore

Quote from: Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397 on April 13, 2009, 09:33:20 PM
Cadillac made improvements (or at least modifications) to the HT4100 as production continued and you'll hear some people say that the '84's, or the '85's, '86's, and '87's were more reliable than earlier ones. I have, however, either experienced personally or heard from friends and relatives of all the most common HT4100 problems (knocking, overheating, coolant in oil, accelerated camshaft and distributor drive wear, and broken crankshafts) in '84-'87 cars, so I'd say that any improvements that were made didn't do much to overcome the basic engineering and casting shortcomings of the engine and I would be just as wary of an '87 as I would an '82. Significant improvements in durability didn't come until the 4.5.

Accepting the fact that 82-87 Cadillacs equipped with the HT4100 engine, why is that sellers of these cars are, at least in my opinion, trying to sell them at such high prices, given the fact that in all probability, these are the most unreliable and worse engine that Cadillac has ever produced?

35-709

4.  Trying to recoup their losses?
3.  Start high, you can always come down?
2.  Never had a lick of trouble with this one --- it must be "one of the good ones"?
1.  Hoping that there are many that do not know anything about the HT 4100's reputation? (and there are, as we see here often enough)

;D
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

The Eldos of this vintage, at least, are reasonably good looking cars. The only people that know anything about the HT4100 are enthusiasts like us.

Most of your potential buyers don't know or care about the mechanical aspects of this vehicle or any vehicle for that matter.

You could put two identical models of any vehicle for sale right next to each other and the shiniest, best looking one will sell first - even if it's leaking oil, blowing smoke and screeching when it stops. The other car could be in 100% perfect mechanical condition with faded paint and missing hubcaps and nobody will look at it twice.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Wynn Moore

Quote from: Geoff Newcombe #4719 on April 14, 2009, 10:57:10 AM
4.  Trying to recoup their losses?
3.  Start high, you can always come down?
2.  Never had a lick of trouble with this one --- it must be "one of the good ones"?
1.  Hoping that there are many that do not know anything about the HT 4100's reputation? (and there are, as we see here often enough)

;D

Good post, as I think the reason is mostly a combination of all four, but to play devil's advocate, it would seem to me that only an enthusiast such as us, would be interested in these years Cadillacs, and most likely know of the problem that they would be getting themselves into, and wouldn't pay some of the prices that are being asked.  It would seem to me, that at best, they might want to pick up one that is in reasonably good condition, at a good price, with the intention of replacing the engine anyhow.  I guess they are looking for the buyer with excessive discretionary money, that like the looks of the Eldos and Sevilles of this era, and don't realize the problem that they might be getting themselves into.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

As Geoff stated in his number one reason why people selling their HT4100 cars price them so high, we regularly see posts like this:  My Aunt Blanche recently died and left me her beautiful 1983 Fleetwood Brougham with just 42,000 miles on it.  I was so proud of this elegant, smooth-riding car until I took it to my mechanic after noticing a slight knocking in the engine after it warmed up. He told me that the engine (it's an HT4100 Digital Fuel Injection according to the emblems on the fenders and the decal on the air cleaner cover) is just a ticking time bomb for many reasons (he mentioned coolant getting into the oil as one of them).  I've heard that the V8-6-4 engine was very trouble-prone, but is the HT4100 that bad?  Answer:  No, it's not that bad.  It's far worse. All of the problems of the V8-6-4 can be solved by cutting a wire.  All of the problems of the HT4100 can be solved by removing it from the car and putting something else in its place.