News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

12 cylinder distributor caps

Started by M. Patla 13876, August 24, 2009, 01:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 31, 2009, 03:13:26 PM
Lots of ideas & wishes posted here, but the fact remains, WHO'S GONNA DO THE WORK? The CLC has NEVER  done a reproduction project! What makes any of you believe they will start now? The Classic Car Club has rerions that do projects. They list them in the back of the bulletin. The time when most of the restoration work was done on multi cylinder Cadillacs has PAST!.  Interest level is low. Some cap & rotor reproduction was done years ago. I don't remember what. So... here's the same message I seem to have to post. Someone needs to step up with the time & money & MAKE IT HAPPEN. Talk is always cheap! I am willing to guide an interested person with some contacts & past history that might help. HTH, Bob

Okay, I will retire on June 30, 2010. At that time I will be glad to research the CLC Directory and contact V12 and V16 owners out there Should everyone commit to purchase one cap and one rotor perhaps there will be enough support to warrent such a venture. I seem to remember that last time V12 caps were made that they were snatched up for $400 or $600 each. I will be glad to assist or do the work, but I don't know about the funding sources.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Jeff Maltby 4194

Maybe this is what you have ?

January 2009

Twin 6 Nash distributor cap new nash twin 6

distributor cap new old stock ,new fuel pumps $25. singles, $45 duals ,wheel cylinders master cylinders, light bulbs, grease seals, rebuilt

1949-53 carburetors

email donow1@hotmail.com

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

bcroe

I suppose originality is very important, but just how will the V12s & V16s manage to stay on the road, if there aren't enough good distributor caps?  I can see  couple ways to do it.  One is use a crank triggered waste fire system, off the shelf stuff.  Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

TL (Ty) Stinson

What is that about? I don't know anything about that.
Thanks,
Ty Stinson

bcroe

What I am saying is, what can be done if the distributor caps can't be supplied?  Here is a last resort, completely unoriginal solution. 

One way to keep the engines running would be with a waste fire ignition, which has no distributor at all.  Basically a coil drives 2 spark plugs at once, 2 cylinders that are both reaching the top of their stroke at the same instant.  One is on compression stroke and fires normally.  The other cylinder is just finishing its exhaust stroke, so the "waste" spark there does nothing.  The next crank revolution does the same thing, but the other cylinder fires.  A V12 would need six coils. 

These are pretty common on modern 4s, 6s, & 8s.  If none available will cover a V12, 2 @ 6 cylinder systems could be used.  The spark advance is done electronically.  They run on 12V; I suppose the V12s are 6 volts cars.  Bruce Roe  CLC # 14630

Stinson

Hello Bruce,
Thank you for your response. Yes, the V12 and V16 are both 6 volt systems. I have often wondered if there could be an alternative to the existing rotor system. I wonder if anyone has actualy converted one of these engines to using your suggestion.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the Liberty Aircraft engine was a V-12 and used dual delco distributors in most of it's versions.  They are still available from Antique Aircraft parts suppliers, abeit a bit pricey at about $1K, but I again suggest following up this lead.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Carfreak

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 09, 2009, 09:52:23 AM

Liberty Aircraft engine was a V-12 and used dual delco distributors in most of it's versions. 

They are still available from Antique Aircraft parts suppliers, abeit a bit pricey at about $1K,

Greg

http://www.antiquedistributorcaps.com/vintage_aircraft.htm

Greg,

If this is what you are thinking about, for that price, IMO most owners would want it to look original.   

I suppose if nothing else were available, and this could be made to work, guess something is better than nothing.

Perhaps a cap for marine application might be more 'original'? 

Distributor Cap w/ HT Knobs   Liberty - DC $625.00
Includes: distributor cap and twelve (12) high tension (spark plug lead) knobs.

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

That's one of the versions.  I was just going by what I have seen on some of the Liberty variants, Aircraft, Marine, Tank engines or stationary applications where the caps looked very much like automotive with "socket" type terminals, and the upper portion of the Distributor/Magnetos looked like automotive type devices.
Just a thought
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Carfreak

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Sorry, but I can't.  My direct observation of said caps was at the Air and Space Museum in DC, and then the distributor cap offer was via some surfing I did through the Antique Aircraft Historical Society Website.
It was on no real interest to me at the time, so I made no note of it.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Mike Lepak

Quote from: Stinson on August 31, 2009, 10:34:06 AM
I hope the CLC will take up this venture! I would also order a cap and rotor.
Ty Stinson

Count me in too-I have two 32 V-12s and both caps are borderline.
Mike

John Sweney

Gents, I am having a run of V12 caps and rotors made by the folks mentioned in the link above, Kip Motor. 

As you can see on their website, they take a good existing part (I supplied them) and make a rubber mold.  They have formulated a nice plastic that resembles the weight and appearance of original parts and have perfected the technique for small batches. 

They can get maybe 5 or 6 good caps out of each mold.  Kip insisted that I buy an entire run of 5 sets, which I did.  It has taken months. (What a surprise!).  I expect to have the sets of caps and rotors here within a week or two and will test on my own 1932 Cadillac V12.   

Once I am convinced they are great, I will sell the others.  It will be about $740 per set (cap and rotor).  Of the 5, I'll use one, keep one spare, and one is already accounted for by another CLC member participating in this forum.  If I get more demand, I'll have him make more.  Or maybe he'll decide there is enough demand and make some stock to sell.  In any case, don't despair...  We'll keep our puppies rolling!

John Sweney, Houston TX
1932 Cadillac V12 370B Seven Passenger Sedan
e-mail:  bentley (at) brookwoods.com

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

John, let me be the first one to commend you for stepping up to the plate! This is the ONLY way these repro projects get done. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Kip Lankenau

Hoping to clear up some of the confusion on this subject (or possibly just adding to it!), here is some information on the Delco Remy distributor caps and rotors which we manufacture.

1839054 - 12 cylinder cap with vertical female threaded high tension connections.
               4.6" ID, 4.85" step OD, 5.07" OD (uses rotor 1850985, 4.50" length)
               There are no part numbers shown on either cap or rotor.  Part numbers provided by
               John Sweney from factory parts manual, fits Cadillac V12 1931-33.

1839166 - 12 cylinder cap with vertical push-on high tension connections.
               4" ID, 4.20" step OD, 4.57" OD (uses rotor 1844262, 3.47" length)
               There is no part number on the cap, but the rotor does have the part number embossed
               on the upper surface.  This cap and rotor combination does fit American-LaFrance fire
               engines fitted with Lycoming engines and most likely has other applications.

CD1502 - 8 cylinder cap with horizontal spike push-on high tension connections and removeable
              cover.  No part number on cap.  The part number we use is a Delco UK part number,
              however this cap was used on a wide variety of US vehicles, with a variety of removeable
              covers.

CD876 - 6 cylinder cap with horizontal spike push-on high tension connections and removeable cover.
            No part number on cap.  The part number we use is a Delco UK part number, however this
            cap was used on a wide variety of US vehicles, with a variety of removeable covers.

Liberty - 12 cylinder cap with horizontal male threaded radial high tension connections, integral coil
            and base plate.  Each engine uses two distributor assemblies in all applications.  No known
            original automobile applications, however this family of distributors was also manufactured
            in six and eight cylinder versions for other aerial applications, primarily Packard aero engines.

We have original samples of all items listed above, in our posession.  All of our reproductions are
virtually identical (both visually and functionally) to and interchangeable with originals equipment.
Original samples were used as mould patterns in all cases.

Kip Lankenau, President
Kip Motor Company, Inc.